• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another caecotrophs question sorry U/D been to vets

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry to ask another question on this, but Esmerelda has been producing excess caecotrophs for about the last week now (but is also still doing normal 'currants' too.)

I saw the tips to help combat this, but the problem in this case is that she cannot eat hay at all because of her malclussion. Have tried cutting it up and mixing it in with her food but she still does not eat it.

She's on an excel and ss mix at the mo (just over weekend), but will be back on ss full time tomorrow. Have ordered some hay cubes from bunny basics so perhaps this might help. I know I should cut down on pellets but this worries me as she needs to put on weight.

She does eat veggies such as spring greens, romaine lettuce, cabbage, brocolli, carrot, occassional apple, cauliflower etc.

Her teeth look fine by the way...

Might be worth trying Science Selective or A&P pellets.

I know a lot of people on here have had the same trouble with Excel!

That way your bun can still get quite a few pellets without the worry of extra cecal poops! :wink:

Thanks Loppylop, thats interesting to know about excel.

She is usually on science selective, just nearly ran out over the weekend so brought some excel to mix in. Should be getting a delivery of science tomorrow hopefully. The excess poops were happening before the weekend though.... :?
I guess I will just keep on eye on her for the moment and may think of taking her to the vets for a health check.

Sorry, just re read that again and noticed that bun has had teeth problems :oops:

I'm not too hot on teeth - but I Im assuming this will have something to do with the extra ceacal poops about..

I hope someone with more info will be along soon for you!

Thank you so much for that! :D There's some really useful information on there- about all sort of things. x

Yeh I have found it useful, esp just for a nosey!

It originally came from bunnyhuggger who posted the link :D I book marked it and pass it on :D

I've just got back from taking Esmerelda to the vets. This morning her caecotrophs were sloppy, she hardly ate anything and sat around looking miserable.

The vet says she has a very soft tummy so she may have some kind of stomach problem or it may be caused by the stress of losing Bob. She was given an antibiotic injection and I have to take her back tomorrow.
In the meantime I have something to put in her water (forget what its called) and some critical care. She still won't eat her usual favourite science selective pellets, but is eating some spring greens so i've just put the critical care in a bowl rather than syringe feeding her at the moment.

The vet also said her she needs a GA to have her back teeth done in the next week or so.
I can't believe that nows she's ill so soon after losing Bob, especially as I've only had them two months.

Back