• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Healing vibes and advice needed for Brian : ( **update

beck

Mama Doe
I took Brian to the vets today to get weighed and checked over, he weighed 1.6 about 2 months ago, he now weighs 1.1 :( I knew he'd lost weight.

He had a very thorough check, his teeth are fine, so my vet hopes it's down to been on medication but if it's down to the e.c. it could be liver/kidney problems - which could be proved by yet another blood test, but she didn't recommend it as there wouldn't be anything they could do anyway :(

His dandruff isn't mites so again this may be down to been run down.

I know my vet is worried about him, she kept saying to my daughter he needed lots of extra love at the moment :( :(

I have bio lapis to put in his water, and some recovery which my vet recommended to mix with baby food - I have brought hipp organic first tastes - apple and banana, carrot and sweetcorn...

I know oats are good for putting on weight - are rolled oats ok?
feed them as they are or make a mash with veg? Any veg particualy good for putting on weight?

Any other putting on weight ideas? Back to be weighed again in 2 weeks when Chandra goes in for her vhd.

If there is liver/kidney problems what should I be expecting - how quickly will he go down hill?

Please send my Brian button some healing - fattening vibes!!xx

Hiya.
IF Brian's kidneys are effected by EC (I know he has already had Panacur) then although the problem cant be cured he can be supported with anabolic steroid/multi vitamin injections. This will slow down the muscle wastage/uraemia associated with kidney failure and the depletion of Vitamins (especially Vit B). Dietary modification (reduction of protein) can also help delay deterioration.
As for foods to aid weight gain, well Whole Porridge Oats are good. They can be fed dry or in a mash. Critical Care is an excellent supplement feed. Many Buns are happy to lap it up from a bowl.
If Brian were mine I think I would ask for a Blood Test for Kidney function as I have nursed several Buns in chronic Renal failure due to EC(treatment as mentioned above) and they have been able to enjoy a good quality of life on appropriate treatment for much longer than even the Vet I was with at the time thought possible.
Positive vibes being sent to Brian
Janex

Thanks guys.x

That makes interesting reading Jane, My vet isn't keen on another blood test - she doesn't want to sedate him again as it took him ages to come round the last 2 times. But I guess I need to consider it and discuss with her all the options, He really needs to get some weight on first then take it from there.

He LOVED his recovery mixed with baby food :D he sat on my lap for ages, he also drank all his stuff I put in his water.
He's getting his full quota of pellets as well - spread over the day.

I did a search last night and was reading up on feeding up a bun, one of elve posts (thanks) highly recommended oats for fattening up, he's never had them before so I gave him some on a spoon and he loved them!!

He's not off his food so fingers crossed he'll put some weight on!!!

beck said:
Thanks guys.x

That makes interesting reading Jane, My vet isn't keen on another blood test - she doesn't want to sedate him again as it took him ages to come round the last 2 times. But I guess I need to consider it and discuss with her all the options, He really needs to get some weight on first then take it from there.

He LOVED his recovery mixed with baby food :D he sat on my lap for ages, he also drank all his stuff I put in his water.
He's getting his full quota of pellets as well - spread over the day.

I did a search last night and was reading up on feeding up a bun, one of elve posts (thanks) highly recommended oats for fattening up, he's never had them before so I gave him some on a spoon and he loved them!!

He's not off his food so fingers crossed he'll put some weight on!!!

It is not always necessary to sedate a bun to take bloods. Vet just needs to be aware of the 'stress induced' element in some of the results. EG Stress dramatically increases blood glucose. Hope Brian starts to gain weight :D
Janex

I went through almost the exact same thing with my Nethie earlier in the year - he went from just under 1.2kg to 600g in a week :shock:
Urine tests showed a possibility of kidney damage but the vet couldn't get enough blood to test. We treated for EC with Panacur and he was on daily rations of porridge oats and a little bit of Weetabix every other day to try and build him up again, as he was lacking his love of food too.
He seemed to be on the mend and got up to 800g and had a repeat of the wee-soaked back end so was back at the vet. I decided to book him in for a bloodtest and left him there for the day so they could do it.
He didn't have a GA for the first and I'm pretty sure he didn't for the second either - I don't remember signing a form to say he could have a GA and he was fine to take home that afternoon and wasn't sleepy or anything but my memory is terrible!
His tests came through clear though which was a big relief - just to know whether it was kidney damage or not would have allowed me to make a decision on what to do if it WAS, and knowing it wasn't meant I could start adding back in the high protein food/veg I'd cut out when he showed the symptoms so as not to put a strain on his kidneys if they were damaged.
He's still not totally back up to his full weight but is on the incline and definately has his appetite back so he had a happy ending, even if we didn't find out the cause for it (possibly EC I suppose, since he was on the mend after the Panacur) - fingers crossed it's the same for Brian

I was so worried about Brian over the last couple of days when I couldn't get on here, I thought I was losing him :(
However he is more himself today - I actually think it was my fault and went a bit overboard with the pellets :oops: - giving him his full quota was reducing his hay intake so I have adjusted things and hopefully he will be ok for now. Fingers crossed.x

Back