• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rufus Update

Jaypot

Mama Doe
Our lovely Chinese boy Rufus was a bit off yesterday - he was in pain somewhere but we couldn't tell where :? I was nursing him in the evening and he did a great big pee all over the floor :shock: About half an hour later he seemed fine again :?
This morning he was in obvious discomfort again so I got his painkiller ready and when I was holding him a huge fountain of pee came out :shock: OK, we know that something is wrong with his wee now 'cos he started to eat again about quarter of an hour later. We thought maybe cystitis :?
Off to the vets and John has just got back - Rufus needs his bladder manually expressed now :( he is unable to empty it himself - vet thinks it is more neurological than mechanical so Rufus will probably need this doing all the time now - poor boy :(
What is worrying us and the vets is if whatever is wrong with his legs and has more or less paralysed them could be slowly travelling upwards :(
The only real way to find out if nerve damage is involved is to do a mylogram on him and I wouldn't put him through that - that would be totally unfair on him and besides which, nothing could be done for it anyway :(
So, we will have to express Rufus's bladder four times a day - and the vet said he's got one hell of a bladder :shock: It will go with his one hell of a set of plums then :shock: :lol: :lol:

Poor Rufus :( But I'm so glad he is living with lovely people who are willing and able to care for his needs, I'm sure he knows what a lucky boy he is :D I dread to think how many bunnies suffer with things like this and no-one notices :cry:

awwww bless him, what a brave boy. so glad he's with you. You know so much about disabled bunsters, I wish I'd have known about you when I had a disabled bunny called Freeda, no one here knew how to help her :( so glad Rufus is getting the help and care he needs.

At least Rufus is with some-one who can help him cope with his disability.
I expect you already know this (the words 'grandmother' 'suck' and 'eggs' come to mind :oops: :roll: ) but I was told to watch the calcium intake in my Bun who had hind leg paralysis and an inability to empty his bladder. Apparently 'sludgey bladder' is more of a risk for Buns with this type of problem and needing manual bladder expression.
Maybe we can have a few more piccies of the handsome chap soon?

Janex

Back