• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my two

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
After my lovely boy Bob died on friday morning :cry: his wife Esmerda spent the day lying next to Hann's run looking miserable, so that evening I moved them both into the summer house (hoovered and disinfected first as Hann had been in their a few weeks ago.)

Two days later there has been no fighting but no cuddling either. There has been lots of chasing and attempted humping by Esmerelda.

I was wondering if the space is too big for them and they perhaps need to be in a smaller space? Its about 18 ft by 10ft.
Was also thinking of trying the carrier in car trick but can't do that til tomorrow evening.

The other options were to move them into Esmerldas house (has been cleaned) or just to leave them to it for a few days longer in the summer house? I dont want to rush them.

Thank you for all your messages about Bob, although I am distraught that he is gone I am still glad that I did not listen to the original vet who wanted to PTS two months ago as i feel he had a happy last few weeks with me. I've put some photos of him here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=22279

I'd let them take things at their own pace. No fighting is obviously good news and in time I am sure they will get closer.
Its early days but it sounds a less stressful approach to bonding than some of the methods that involve both Buns being frightened.
I am not a huge fan of the 'car journey' method myself. But that is just a personal opinion. I just dont like to think of any of my Buns being frightened into submission.

Janex

Thanks Jane. will leave them to it for a few more days.
Its horrible weather here at the moment anyway, so I'm sure they wont mind being in the summer house for a bit longer.

Its taken Jack and Milly quite a few weeks to start sitting together and being snuggly so i would also leave them. And I think having room to sit apart is a good idea - less stressful.

Back