• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is Piper getting fat?

Is Piper getting chubby?

• Yes he looks very overweight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He looks like he could slim down a little but he's not fat

• He looks fine as he is

• Poor thing is wasting away - what are you talking about?

• Total voters

Aliandbuns

Mama Doe
Since the day I got Piper I knew I would have to keep a close eye on his weight. Unfortunately we don't have any scales that will accurately weigh a bunny - kitchen scales are too sensitive to movement and bathroom scales are just not precise enough. So, as suggested by Jill, I have taken some pics of Piper from above to see if he has a waistline. :? Only, now I'm still not sure - so what do you lot think - is he getting on the chubby side?

14May2006022.jpg

14May2006025.jpg

14May2006015.jpg

14May2006013.jpg

If the weight were all over his body he would look slimmer, it's because he's carrying it around his bum! He's a pear! Bless. He's not fat though

I don't know what natural shape Rexes are meant to be so I can't really comment, but I do think he looks a little on the 'cuddly' side. Can you feel his ribs (I know that's not necessarily a good measure, I'm just wondering).

Can't really answer on the weight, as I'm new to bunnies, but what an absolute stunner! :D

OK, I just managed to weigh him - it looks like he is still around 2.6kg. (Impossible to get an accurate reading as he kept moving.)

He didn't like getting weighed, he is now giving me evils. :(

As long as he's cleaning himself properly, not easily puffed out and can still jump onto things, I'd say he's fine. My giant is fat! She can't jump (or can't be bothered) and is easily tired out. The lady I got her from fed her until she stopped eating. Nice!

Alison he does look slightly on the tubby side :shock: but not too bad.....cut his pellets down for a while, but not too much as he isn't terribly porky! Or take him to the gym!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I just think he looks lovely and cuddly!

Don't ask me why, but I think Rex's always look like cuddly teddybears! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Bounty my white Ermine Rex just looks like a big snowball! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carol xxx

Bunny Land said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I just think he looks lovely and cuddly!

Don't ask me why, but I think Rex's always look like cuddly teddybears! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Bounty my white Ermine Rex just looks like a big snowball! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carol xxx

.....and my Ermine Rex Miss Bunny-Penny has been refered to as 'voluptuous' :lol: :lol:

Janex

my friend said to me that she though rexes tend to look a bit 'baggy' :lol:
its certainly a very accurate term for my to adults, aspen especially!
birch was porkier than piper, and the vet said that he needed to lose some :oops:

Can bunnies get fat eating hay?

It's either hay that's doing it (he does eat a lot) or he's eating some of Molly's share of the pellets. Whenever I watch them eat they seem to be eating equal amounts and she's a skinny-minnie - maybe he doesn't run about as much as she does. :?

thought I'd post a pic of Piper's brother, Drum, and his waistline! You can compare Alison! :D
Dr.jpg

and his sister, Melody
Melody1.jpg

Awww he's the same colour as Buster :love:, he looks a bit bigger then Buster, but my little Kovu is a bit of a porker :lol: . I find rex's ready greedy :D

Looking back at this pic he seems like he was the chubbiest of the 3 by far...
Piper.jpg

Or maybe it's just the way he's sat.

I've cut down his pellets - which now means he hoovers them all up within 5 minutes. Will see if it makes a difference to his waistline. :oops:

Back