• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poorly rabbit?update

tinkerbell

Mama Doe
Hi,
I have a dilema, checked keira an hour ago, she was fine, just been to feed her and see her, and she is eating drinking and running round ok, but her head is on the side, it looks like she tilting her head to the left, im worried, :cry:

p.s she from a pet shop, we are wondering if the breeding had anything to do with it? as we lost ellie too, a few weeks ago, she was from the same place.

sorry, i was kind of thinking out load as my cat once had a bug get in his ear, and he was holding his head funny. i got it out ok as it wasnt in very deep. if there is nothing obvious in her ear, i would ring the vet and see what they suggest.
i hope she's ok xx have a hug from me (((((((((hug))))))))

aww thanks, my partner just looked but nothing in it, she is sooo normal behaviour wise though but it upsetting to see her, she looks uncomfortable, thanks for the hug, really sweet, and for the advice :)

i dont always have time to follow all the different threads, so i didnt realise you had lost a bun so recently. very sorry to hear that, but as they came from the same place, i would definately ring the vets they will either be able to put your mind at rest, or be able to find out what is wrong. i would give them a ring now and see what they say. good luck! let us know how she does!

i rang the vets earlier, they said to just moniter her, ive seperated her from theo, she is eating, just very strange, il take her in tomorrow if she like this still, worried its a stroke... :-(

How old is she? Another possibility is an e.cuniculi infection, it is a parasite that can infect the kidneys and brain and that often causes head tilt. It is treated with a wormer called Panacur for 28 days I think (not had any personal experience of it). Any bunnies that have been in contact with her will also need to be treated. It's definitely worth mentioning to your vet if they don't suggest it, as it is something that does seem to affect bunnies quite a lot. There is some information about e.cuniculi here: http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

Hope your little sweetie is ok. xx

i have checked on her this morning, and she is the same, normal in the way of eating, drinking etc, still happy etc, but her head is the same....i have taken her the vets they said they dont know...(in other words the guy on call was a young 1 and didnt have a clue!!!)i have still kept her seperated from theo, but he has decided to be stroppy, everytime i go near him he grunts away at me, and pushes me away? animal people please help?

What was the symptoms of the 1st one that died? could well be EC...have you started the panacaur? if it's turns out to be that the pet shop need to be informed.
You need to take her back to a vet and ask for tests for E cuniculi.. Good luck with her

tinkerbell said:
i have taken her the vets they said they dont know...(in other words the guy on call was a young 1 and didnt have a clue!!!)

:shock: I'd suggest getting another vet!

Did they not suggest anything at all - or even say that they would look into it / do tests? Thats pretty aweful imo! :(

yes i gave her panacur last night, and the vet just said he had seen nothing like it and to monitor her and if she stops eating to call them, really ****!i mean she does not appear to be in any pain...and the other 1 died of apparantly what was a twisted gut, however she didnt have any symptoms the same as keira, is the e coli thing fatal too?im trying to do everything for her but because shes happy in herself she just wants to binky off...

E cuniculi is fatal if left untreated :( you really must take her to a vet..I'd try a different one ..and ask her to be tested....keep up with the panacaur aslong as you know the correct dose...tell the vet you have been giving her panacaur....keep us posted
On a slightly more positive note..it could just be an inner ear infection...but that needs to be treated too.. ....but is worrying as you lost another bun from the same place..

really ok i will do, only prob is i have 1 vet in my village, others a miles away :-( and i dont have car,im calling the pet shop now...why would theo be grunting at me too?

Back