• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma - advice please!

Karly

Banned
I've been offered some bunnies from a petshop I used to work at :?
However, I hadn't planned on any more animals, and don't really have the room (am going to squeeze some fosters in for Bobtails but that's only shortterm) at the moment, unless I have a big switch around.
However, buns are in tiny cages and barely able to move, and taking a look I couldn't see any bunny poos in the smallest cage (must've been a 24" crate). The buns all looked terrified and were just sitting in the corner of their cage.
I'd take them on without a doubt but my mum wouldn't be too happy :roll: And they're also living with a guinea pig each, and I've been told I'd have to take them and keep them together. Apparently the bunnies fell out with each other and so did the guinea pigs and the current pairings work (but I think that's because whenever I've visited, buns have been sitting in a corner and guinea pigs have been hiding in a tube/house :?
I don't know whether to ask if I can take them on to rehome them, or tell a porky and take them on and rehome them myself.
There's 2 boys and a girl, though apparently one of the members of staff wants to take the girl. Which worries me as well as she's just bred two rabbits (on purpose) that she got from another petshop she used to work at, especially as the dad was poorly (that's why she took him home) :roll: The girl is very pretty so I'm worried she'd breed from her too.

If I were you I would take them on, even if you rehome them yourself, they need somebody to get them out of there and give them a good home untill they can find new ones.

My mum's said no :( Am working on getting my room ubertidy and everything to convince her otherwise! Don't think it's fair as I pay rent and the bunny/bunnies would be outside so doesn't really affect her!
I did pop in and have a word with the manageress though and explain my worries about the other girl breeding from them, and the fact that her 'stud' buck would be from bad petshop lines.
Fingers crossed I can get the OK, even if it's just for one of them :?

Why do they want you to take them Karly? Is it because they're too old to sell?
If you want to bring them on Sunday (presume you're still coming) we can take them, guineas too of course. The only thing that worries me about doing that is that we will then be creating spaces for them to get more in.

donna-arc said:
Why do they want you to take them Karly? Is it because they're too old to sell?
If you want to bring them on Sunday (presume you're still coming) we can take them, guineas too of course. The only thing that worries me about doing that is that we will then be creating spaces for them to get more in.

That would be great Donna! Only problem is the manageress isn't in until Thursday now, but I'm popping in tomorrow so will see if I can ger her mobile number or something to ask if it's OK.
I think they're redoing their pens, that or making their pens into something else, so the buns they've got have just gone into indoor cages and tiny crates. The buns are paired with piggies as apparently the buns fell out and piggies did and these pairing work (I imagine just because there's no enough space for them to not work!)
Anyway, they're older and bigger and the manageress feels bad about them being in the little cages and not selling so said I can take them free (this is on the sly so that's why I can't take them before Thursday when she's in again)
One thing I meant to ask and forgot, but will before agreeing to take them is that they don't get any more in unless there's the demand AND the space for them - the manageress means well and has asked my advice on several other occasions so hopefully she'll listen :?
Will ask my mum if it's OK at lunchtime - if she KNOWS they'll be off to a new 'home' Sunday she may well agree, though I'll have to check with Amethyst that she's OK carting us all there!

Edit:
Just phoned, the managess is actually on holiday til Thursday so can't get hold of her.
The other option would be to speak to the other member of staff who knows about it, but she's the one who wanted the female so I can't really tell her I was going to take her too! And I'm worried that if I take the two males this will spur her on to take the female home sooner if she wasn't going to anyway as she might not want to leave her 'alone' in the shop :? So not sure whether to try to 'save' the two males and perhaps doom the female to a breeding life in the process, or cross my fingers and hope they all stay there until Thursday :?

OK, had a plan. I'm going in tomorrow anyway so will see if I can take one of the boys, the one in the tiny crate who I was worried about him having the beginnings of stasis. That way hopefully the other girl won't take the girl home straight away because there'll still be another bun in the cage next door as 'company' which gives me til Thursday.
Also will work out better as I've only told my mum about the one bun so far, so I can say they asked me if I knew anyone interested in the other two and can hopefully convince her to let me take those as they'll be going to ARC Sunday providing I can take them all.

Nothing is ever straight forward is it? Sounds like you have it under control though. We'll keep 3 places just in case you manage to get them all. x

Thanks, I really do appreciate it, especially as it's happened the same time as the RSPCA/Bobtails thing!
Amethyst has agreed to foster the girly until Sunday if I can get her so I will say a friend was interested in the female in particular and see if I can get her too, before she does go to a breeding home :(

Back