• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding this weekend! *pictures added!

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
The new hutch is nearly ready for Amber and Dexter. Just have to put some bolts on the doors which i'll do tomorrow. Now the exciting and scary bit, introducing them to each other. I thought I would put them in the kitchen together to start with as neither of them have been in there before. Any advice on what I need to do? Shall I put food down to distract them? If all goes well how long shall I leave them in the kitchen before I let them out in the garden together? :? :? :?

Good link too!

when i put Holly and Alfie in his hutch together (after being in my bathroom for a couple of hours) he was humping her non stop near enough. She even fell down the ramp.

BUT as hard as it was i left them all night alone and by morning they were like loves young dream :love:

Similar thing here. Jack chased Milly round all afternoon and evening. I was really worried about her but on the advice of the rescue I left them together. In the morning the floor was covered in poo and fur but they were curled up together under the table like everything was normal!!! They've been happy together ever since! :love:

OK so I've only bonded one pair of bunnies and I'm no expert, but I was given some really good advice to do so and I learnt a few rights and wrongs along the way too...

Have something to hand to separate them if necessary, like a broom or water pistol/plant sprayer. Only stick with the kitchen if they are fairly evenly uncomfortable on the surface. If one bun seems very confident and the other is really nervous (which is what happened with my 2) then it's not really fair on the nervous one. If you take them into the kitchen in pet carriers then take them out of the carriers and remove the carriers from site, otherwise they will defend them. Give them places to run and hide from each other and nice things to make them enjoy the experience a bit more.

Good luck!

I put them both in the kitchen together. There were a few minor scuffles then Dexter decided he wasn't playing so while Amber stretched out on the rug and ate all the food he sat in the corner and stamped his feet for 3 hours.
I then decided to put them in the new outside hutch so they had to be closer together. A few more little scuffles and Amber has gone upstairs and Dexter is sat downstairs!
I do hope they make friends tonight! :? :roll: :?

I'm feeling really guilty about moving Dexter outside with a ladybun he doesn't like at the moment. I'm missing the cuddles on the sofa with him already! :(

when you see him all snuggled up to Amber you'll be fine.......then you just need to adopt a pair of house buns for you to cuddle! :lol: :lol:

honeybunny said:
when you see him all snuggled up to Amber you'll be fine.......then you just need to adopt a pair of house buns for you to cuddle! :lol: :lol:

Or just have him and Amber inside so i can have two bunnies snuggling on the sofa with me! :D :D :D

I have just let them out in the garden together. Amber is chasing Dexter a lot but only so he runs away, she hasn't attacked him so i think its ok :? I was hoping they would have sniffed each other by now and calmed down but Amber is not very impressed at the moment! :roll:

I went outside to get them back in the hutch only to find them back inside it snuggled up together! Awww, they looked so cute, i'm so pleased! :D :D :D

Here are pictures of them playing in the garden together. They are getting on really well. The only problem I'm having is getting them both back into the hutch at the same time. Amber will go straight back in when i put the food in but Dexter likes me to chase him round the garden which is not fun at all! :roll: :lol:
ambdex3.jpg

ambdex1.jpg

ambdex2.jpg

Back