• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor boy Bob...Bob has died

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I am very upset and worried about Bob.

This morning when I went out to feed them he did not come running as he usually does (although he doesn't always so this in itself isn't unusual) and when I picked him up this evening after work he is making very slight laboured breathing noises- kind of grunting- I know this isn't at me as he doesn't do this usually. His nose seems a little snotty and his eye on the side that the abcess was is weeping a tiny tiny bit. He is ok when he is not picked up- all his symptoms are mild.

All their food is eaten, but not necessarily by Bob, although he has eaten some oats I gave him to see if he would eat.

My post below refers to Bobs original mate, Silas. I picked them both up late on a Thursday evening and Silas died on the Sunday evening after having trouble breathing- she had grunted at me on the Saturday but I had assumed this was territorial. (I did call the Rescue and asked about taking her to an emergency vet, but was told it could wait til Monday.)

Anyway, Bob is booked in to the vets at 9.20 tomorrow morning (they said they didn't think he needed seeing tonight).
Does he have snuffles/pneumonia?? He didn't have any treatment after Silas died and I picked Esmerelda up soon after. Is it related to his abcess?
Are Hann and Esmerelda potentially going to get ill too?

Even though his symptoms are actually are quite mild I'm worried and stressed as I don't want to lose him, particularily after all he's been through- on friday he was given a clean bill of health from the vet following all his abcess treatment.

Sorry for another long one

I would think that this is an emergancy i don`t want to worry you, but i`d get him seen asap.

Rabbits can get worse very quickly and tomorrow maybe to late.

I reallymdon`t want to alarm yoy but i`d ring them back and explain about your other rabbit.

good luck

I should probably add that I'm having to take Bob to my vets, not the rescue's- unfortunately they are the ones who wanted to PTS originally.

Should I cancel my appointment with them and take him to the rescue vet in the evening when my boyfriend can take me? They obviouslly have his full history too.

YOU NEED TO GET THIS BUNNY TO ANY VET NOW!!

From what you describe Bun may have Pneumonia and it is ESSENTIAL treatment is given IMMEDIATELY.
Please keep us posted.

Janex

I spoke to the vet nurse and told her about the other rabbit- it was she who said she thought it could wait.

If Bob is ill because of Silas dying then I feel really bad - but I didn't even know what she had died of. I told the rescue and they didn't mention that he might be ill too and they let me just take Esmerelda......
(BTW it was 2 months ago that she died.)

mandy said:
I spoke to the vet nurse and told her about the other rabbit- it was she who said she thought it could wait.

If Bob is ill because of Silas dying then I feel really bad - but I didn't even know what she had died of. I told the rescue and they didn't mention that he might be ill too and they let me just take Esmerelda......
(BTW it was 2 months ago that she died.)

Abnormal breathing in a Rabbit is ALWAYS a serious problem needing IMMEDIATE Veterinary attention. Vet nurse or not, unless he/she has EXAMINED the Rabbit it is IMPOSSIBLE to establish a diagnosis or if it 'can wait'.
If the Bun were mine and the symptoms you describe are correct I would get Bun to a Vet TONIGHT.

Janex

Just got back now. We didn't go to my vets as its the PDSA who run the emergency surgery.

Bob's problems are being caused by his abcess- vet said it is in the bone and pressing on his respirartory tract and thats why he couldn't breathe very well. He said everytime the antibiotics stop this will happen and eventually they will stop working.

He said Bob will never recover and will eventually die from it.

He gave him a painkilling injection plus an antibiotic and I have to take him back tomorrow to see what further treatment he should have- ie PTS or more antibiotics.

I feel really distraught and upset. I don't want to PTS but I don't think its fair if he has no quality of life- ie in pain. At the moment I'm more inclined to go for antibiotics so he can have some more time enjoying the sunshine with Esmerelda.

Thank you for your messages x

Poor Bob :(

If antibiotics to control the infection and anti-inflammatories to reduce pain and swelling help him to feel more comfortable then maybe he can spend a while longer with his friend Esmerelda.
If he is eating and drinking and not depressed then if he were mine I'd just take things one day at a time.
If he stopped eating I probably would not push him on with syringe feeds/gut motility meds etc. I think I would let him go to The Bridge.
When you are nursing a Bun with a terminal condition( :cry: :cry: ) you form a special bond and some-how you just KNOW when it is time to say farewell.
Meantime Bob will benefit from lots of TLC, the companionship of Esmerelda, some time out in the sunshine and whatever treets he wants!!
Janex

Bob has gone.

His breathing was much worse this morning and he wouldn't even eat some oats I gave him.

I went out to buy some baby food to syringe feed him and when I returned he had died.

I can't stop crying.
Thank you for your advice Jane, at least I know I tried to do the best for him by taking him to the vets last night.

I am so sorry :(
Bob will now be free all all disease and able to breathe easily and Binky Free at Rainbow Bridge.
Janex

Back