• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pens for french lops

hi all

im thinking of rehoming 2 french lops. it wont be any time soon, but id just like to know what sort of size pen would 2 french lops need?

im having a garage specially made just for my bunnies and i wondered if i could fit a pen in there for 2 french lops??

they would also have a doube level hutch 6ftx3ftx3ft, what sort of pen should i put with it? 8ft by 6ft???? im not sure

i have a young french lop cross and she is inside but moving out at weekend into a playhouse with her new hubby .
they will also have run of garden at least 3 hours each day often for longer .

My Alfie has the whole patio to himself for about 12 hours everyday. It's a very large area, probably the eqivalent of 3 double garages in size! So he's a very lucky bun :D

Ive always thought french lops needed a large shed and run,i know they need a lot of space
i will have a free range giant bunny one day :)

I'd have thought that to give them a reasonable quality of life, stop them from getting overweight and the joint problems to which they are so prone, they would pretty much need the whole garage :?

Free range is exactly what my Alfie is :D He even has his own little kennel , and dog bowls outside too...infact, he's treat like a dog rather than bunny! haha :D

Veronica said:
Free range is exactly what my Alfie is :D He even has his own little kennel , and dog bowls outside too...infact, he's treat like a dog rather than bunny! haha :D
Yeah thats what id like :lol:
I bet mildred would be scared of a giant though :lol:

bluebunny said:
Veronica said:

Well lets just say he gives Bairn my cat run for her money! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Veronica said:
bluebunny said:
Veronica said:

Well lets just say he gives Bairn my cat run for her money! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I bet :lol:

Is the hutch going to be open for them to come and go in and out of. I have two French lops and they would be too big for the hutch measurements you are mentioning. If the pen was huge, they could have the hutch permanently open (if its in the garage) and use it to crash out in but using the pen free range. My two are free range in the kitchen and they have a carrier which they pop into when the want to sleep or to get away. Invariably they are laid out in the kitchen. They then have supervised free range use of the garden during the day and evening.

I would say they would need a larger pen than that unless they will have lots of time outside as well. A two level hutch that is only 3ft tall is not nearly tall enough, unless each level would be 3ft, so the whole thing would be 6ft tall. If they will have the pen all the time a big dog kennel might be better.

Back