• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tell me I'm doing the right thing

Jayne

Mama Doe
Just got back from the vets and I need reassurance! I took them as I wanted their teeth checking (can't manage it myself!) and as I thought Gabbie needs some dental work.This past week she's been eating in an odd way sort of tipping her head up (she's still eating/drinking lots) and I just had a gut feeling that something wasn't right (never had rabbits before so don't really know how I knew!) Her back teeth are starting to go outwards,it's not urgent but I've got her in next Thursday.I'm just so worried as she's got to have an GA.Will she be ok do you think,am I doing the right thing and is it my fault that this has happened? (sorry so many questions :oops:) I'm so worried (I'm crying as I type this!) Sorry to waffle on.Thanks in advance for your help.

There's a risk with any op but just think - if you leave her, the teeth will begin to rub on her cheeks and possible cause abcesses, she'll stop eating and get stasis. An op sounds a lot nicer if you think about it that way!
My Nethie has had about 5 or 6 dentals on his molars, as well as 2 incisor extractions (one grew back after the first so was removed at the same time as he was neutered), and he's still here and bouncing! He's even managed to battle through stasis a few times, and some nasty kidney problems where he lost half his weight. Buns are little fighters!

Thank you,I know it's the lesser of two evils really! I think it's because this is the first health problem I've had since I got them that it's thrown me abit (I'm a born worrier anyway :oops: ) She said I could leave it a while as they are not bad but I want her sorted as soon as possible.Keep going out to her and apologising! Is this likely to reoccur once she's had it done?

Better to take the risk and have her be happy and comfortable! Teeth problems escalate quite quickly. My poor bun has burs and I was told to leave it, his tongue had a hole in the next week from them! Poor baby!

I wouldn't leave it any longer, the fact that she's eating funny shows that they're already starting to bother her. Better to get the op over and done with while she's still healthy and eating than wait until she gets stasis/weight loss and bring the risk up a bit more!
It may happen again unfortunately. If they're growing outwards it can mean they're slightly misaligned and not wearing down properly. You can help prevent it, or extend the time she needs between dentals by feeding a high fibre diet which will promote the natural wear of her teeth - lots of hay (timothy, orchard and oat hay are the tougher ones which will promote more wear), grass and leafy veg as opposed to solid (so carrot tops rather than leaves, cauliflower greens rather than cauliflower, etc.)
Since changing to a diet like this, Mary went from having dentals every month for 3 months, to going almost 10 months without one.
I also switched him onto SS as it claims to prevent dental wear on the bag, I imagine because it's a long pellet rather than round like Excel they can't just crunch down on it, they'd have to grind their teeth side to side.

Thanks I knew I'd feel better once I'd been on here! When I left the vets I just kept thinking 'straight home go on RU and then it'll all seem better'! I'm sure she knows she keeps turning her back on me!!

Thanks for advice Karly.That's pretty much her diet now :D Just changed them on to SS and they love it (and not so many excess caecals!) Hopefully this will sort her out

Back