• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sneezy buns

racheld

New Kit
Here's a query for you experts.

I have 2 buns. My boy is rex, a year and a few months old, my girls is about 2 and a bit and a mix breed - probably got some lop in her but her ears stick up (she's rescue so not sure exactly how old or what breed). Both are neutered.

I have had them living in the house, which was fine in the cool weather, they had the run of the conservatory, which was a moderate termperature and I put the radiator on when it got cold, so it was all good.

Now that the warmer weather is coming, my house is getting like a furnace in the day, so I've decided to convert the shed for them - it's really in good condition, and I've carpeted the floor, and to be honest they get more fresh air there as I am happy to to leave a window open, which I didn't do in the house because of fear of burglars.

Anyway, question 1 - do you think it will make them unhappy living in the shed through the summer months? When it gets colder I plan to bring them back in the house, but what do you think of that?

Question 2 - is about travel.

I live alone - about 2 hours from my family. I go back to visit about once a month. I had been in the habit of taking both bunnies with me. I've got a huge plastic pet carrier (big enough for a large dog) and they travelled on the passenger seat.

To be honest, it suitted me fine as I like having them with me, I'd miss them if I was away without them, and as they were living in the house it meant I didn't have to rely on someone else letting themself in to my home and taking care of them in my absence.

However, a couple of times now my rex has started to get sneezes. And it seems to coincide with travelling. The girl has caught it off him and it's really distressing me.

Obviously I've taken them both to the vet when this has happened, and my normal vet gives baytril - which sometimes works but the last time I had to go to the out of hours vet who prescribed an injectable antibiotic instead. (Tri meth sulpahte??)
Anyway, they are still taking that orally over a week later, and at least it isn't getting worse, but it's taking a while to shift.

Now, the rex always seems to get this worse than my girl, and I know that rexes can get respiratory problems, but I don't know whether it's coincidence that this is tying in with the journeys.

The vet suggests that I stop travelling with them. I know that buns can get stressed with travel, and I don't want to put unneccessary pressure on them, but I do genuinely prefer having them with me, and I do have to see my folks once a month.

So - do you think I have to find someone to bunny sit while I'm away? Or is there a method I can use to help them relax during travel? What do people who show bunnies do (bearing in mind they must travel a lot).

By the way, when I went on a weekend away a couple of months ago I left the buns at a bunny hotel, which was really well run and clean and only 20 mins down the road, but the boy still got sneezes when I got him home.

Is there somthing I can do to build up their lungs or do you think there may be an underlying problem, like I have an asthmatic bunny?

Any advice appreciated.

Rach

I should think they will love the extra room in the garage and find the cooler tempreture to there liking. As for sneezing i think you shouls look into that more. Why is the vet giving them antibiotics?, does he know what it is?, have they got pasturella?. I show my own rabbits and they travel a lot. None of my rabbits have a problem with it at all. The only thing i could sugest is that you try rescue remedy that works well if a rabbit is stressed. The only place i know you can get it is animal mad. They come to some of the larger shows to sell there rabbit products and the rescue remedy is popular although ive never had a reason to use it. This is a link to there web site were you can buy on line. val

http://www.animalmad.ltd.uk/

Thanks for this info. When I took them for the vet to review I asked about swabbing for pasturella and she said there's no point because when they get colds its always pasturella.
She also told me that the emergency vet I'd seen had given me a steroid with the aintibiotic which she wouldn't have done as she said it can damage bun's livers.
anyway, both bunnies seem better now. She felt I shouldn't travel with them if possible as it does seem to bother them because of the stress. She also said that if rabbits get repeated infections they can get absesses in their lungs which don't go, and if they get repeated infections you can end up with a bunny whose lungs are mostly absess. Obviously not good.

Anyway, I hope this info may be useful to other people, and if anyone has advice about strengthening my babies constitutions, please let me know.

thanks

so...

thanks again for more useful info.

shall I get a swab stick from the vet so I'm prepared for the runny nose, or will a cottonbud do, or should I take them to the vet when they're snotty? (sorry if that sounds like a really stupid question)

and, if you do get regular pasturella sneezes is there anything I can do to pep them up (or is it ALWAYS a case of going to the vet?) I will gladly take them to the vet everytime they get ill, but often I only notice it when I get back from work, although I do check them in the morning before I leave so they aren't neglected - but it's costing about a hundred pounds every time I take them to the out of hours vet.

I have got some Avipro - will this help or hinder?

And I have now decided to leave them where they are when I travel, at least for the next 6 months (have got a friendly friend who'll look after them for me), which will hopefully show whether it's travel related, or just conincidence. So hopefully that will help.

all the best, and thanks again

Hi,

I think it's worth paying for a swab - if only so you know for certain. It's not always pasteurella.

My 2 have pasteurella (confirmed by a swab) and I have to say a 5 minute trip to the vet or change of scenery brings on the pasteurella in my experience.

I wouldn't take my rabbits on a 2 hour trip once a month.

In fact, I'm on honeymoon in September and I've been having a huge dilemma as the person I trust most to look after my 2 are 40 minutes away but I don't think a 40 minute trip and change of surroundings is a good idea as this may stress them out and bring on the pasteurella. So we've decided to leave them right where they are and get someone to come round and feed/clean them twice daily.

Just from my personal experience I would say stop the 2 hour trips. But I do think it's worth having a swab...but you need to wait till they are nice and snotty to get a decent sample.

As for the shed, that sounds like a great idea and if your buns do turn out to be snuffly buns the fresh air will be much better for them.

With snuffly buns you do need to keep a close eye on them - check their noses and clean them if need be. If they ever show signs of trouble breathing take them straight to the vet.

My 2 both have snuffles and i find travelling with them brings it on. I have stopped taking them if i can help it, i dont really go anywhere now unless its for the day. I also moved them from living upstairs in my house to my house shed (its attached to the house). They are both alot healthier and alot happier and they go in the garden everyday and get fresh air and it has helped so so much. My boy bunny has improved so much and hasnt had a problem since before xmas.
Sometime moulting brings it on as well cos apparantly shedding a coat is quite stressful.
Bunnies have such a hard life dont they :lol: :lol: can you imagine if they had to go out and work, none of them would live longer than a week the stress would kill them :lol: :lol:
I would try and travel with them less and just keep an eye on them
:D :D :D :D

Back