• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bracken`s not himself mourning Beebie??

bunnies

Alpha Buck
As the title says he isn`t himself he is eating and drinking but he`s really not into his food.

Also i have noticed that he makes sounds as thought he`s eating when he isn`t not all the time he did it a bit when he was having a cuddle, i have looked over him and teeth at a loss to what is causing this, he has done it before Beebie went to the bridge.

Am being homechecked on Fri and am hoping to get him a friend as he`s so lonely I have hardly seen him in his run which is attached to the shed!! but am worried that it may take time for him to forge a good relationship as i`m going on holiday on the 1st june should i wait till i get home or can bonding be quick and forever??? i don`t want any tiff`s when i`m away i have my best friend and mum checking 2 daily but is it to soon??

Sorry for all the questions last one, he`s due his vhd next week should i go ahead or leave it a little longer??

Thanks for all the nice messages about Beebie I really miss her the worse time is late night check for Bracken seeing him on his own just cripples me inside and the tears................... :cry: :cry:

Anyone who can offer some advise about getting him a friend I do feel very unloyal to Beebie but i must think of him now how ever hard it is.

mandy

Hi Chick, Im in exactly the same position as you at the moment. I would go ahead with the VHD jab, Tilly had hers about 2 wks after Charlie left and was fine :). I know what you mean about feeling unloyal to Beebie, as i do to Charlie. I have chosen to wait a few months before getting a friend for her though, as if you get a bunny now, just for Bracken and your not ready, then if anything happens to Bracken (I know u dont want to think about it, but trust me its worth thinking about now!) then you wont be able to bond with the bun thats left very well, which is cruel on both you and bunny. I personally would give Bracken time to heal his broken little heat, trust me, it will get easier. Also, I know exactly what you mean about the late night checks!! You know Bracken best, Just go with your heart. Good luck and let me know how it all goes. Becki xx

oh I'm sorry - I didn't realise you'd lost Beebie :cry:

I think Bracken will be feeling a bit scared on his own, rather than missing company as such - could you bring him indoors as a house rabbit for a while till he gets used to being on his own? I did this with Benny when Pepsi died as he looked totally freaked out in the shed on his own - they get a lot of confidence from their 'other half'. If you can't do this then just give the shed a thorough clean and move everything around - Becki found that this helped Tilly when she lost Charlie, as it made it less confusing for her - If they can still smell the other rabbit it's very confusing for them, so even though it seems harsh, washing away all the smells will help settle him I think.

Not sure if you have time to find him another partner before you go away - you will have to clean and rearrange the shed if you want to try that too - Will the rescue let you take him for meetings there?

I would skip the VHD as his immune system will be low from stress - If he's not eating or drinking then you need to get him in good health before he has any vaccinations ideally. How much is he eating and drinking at the moment?

elve said:
oh I'm sorry - I didn't realise you'd lost Beebie :cry:

If you can't do this then just give the shed a thorough clean and move everything around - Becki found that this helped Tilly when she lost Charlie, as it made it less confusing for her - If they can still smell the other rabbit it's very confusing for them, so even though it seems harsh, washing away all the smells will help settle him I think.

Oh yes, Forget to mention that this helped so much. To be completely honest with you, time is the best healer. Tilly wouldnt eat or drink at first, she was drinking enough to keep her going, and was obviously eating enough hay to keep her gut moving. I didnt try and force her, as i didnt want to add to the stress for her, and she ate when she was ready. The best advice was from Kay i think, I asked her if i should do anything differently and she said to keep everything the same, her routine etc. I did and it worked, obviously she got a lot more attention, but she seems to be getting on well now. Really hope your little man picks up soon xx

Back