• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pandora not well again :o( U/D :o(

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

I’m not happy at all with Pandora bless her. :(

After her spell of not eating a couple of weeks ago she seemed to perk up. But over the last few days she has got very withdrawn and quite again. She tends to sit in one spot of the cage flopped out and hardy moves at all. Even when let out for some exercise she goes and sits in a corner. I’ve been watching her over the last few days as she has been eating very little. It’s hard to tell unless I sit and watch as she lives with three other girls.

Today she’s got sticky bum again and apart from a few nibbles at breakfast I haven’t seen her eat or drink anything all day. She sniffs the food then ignores it. Worryingly she appears to have lost a lot of weight in a very short space of time. She was obese when we first got her and is still very large around the middle but everywhere else the weight has dropped off and she feels very bony. She also feels very floppy/weak when picked up and looks a little wobbly on her feet.

I’ve separated her from her friends tonight so I can monitor how much she is eating/drinking if at all. Going to start syringing fluid to her as I’m worried she’s getting dehydrated.

Making a vet appointment first thing in the morning, as we really need to get to the bottom of this.

Any healing thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Louise

Awwwwww poor Pandora :(
Is she spayed?
Have you followed Phills threads about her old lady Iris?
Hope your Vet can get Pandora on appropriate treament to make her feel better very soon.
Janex

No she isn’t spayed yet. I have her and her two daughters booked in at the end of May. All three were overweight when they first arrived and I wanted them to lose some weight before they had an anaesthetic.

Its funny you should mention Phill’s post Jane I was just talking to my partner about Iris.
Louise

elve said:
Has she been wormed?

I'm actually waiting for some wormer to arrive as I've run out. I make a point of worming all my new Rabbits once they have settled in.

Not looking good this morning. I cleaned her bum before I went to bed last night and its absolutely caked again this morning. Cowpat style poo all over the cage and herself. She hasn’t eaten or drunk anything overnight.

I’ve syringed her some water this morning which she drunk and I’m going to mash some pellets up in a bit to see if she will eat that. She hasn’t touched any of her breakfast (a few pellets and a small piece of carrot). I’ve been tempting her with Ryvita, and dried grass, which they all love, but she’s not interested.

Making a vet appointment as soon as they open at 9.00am.

Louise

Maa's been getting a bad stomach recently too - if she's had more than an inch square of cabbage or been on the grass, or if she's had more than a couple of teaspoons of pellets (level teaspoons) - she gets yucky, slimey poops - If I give her just a mouthful of pellets and no veg, (especially carrots seem to have a bad effect) it clears up and she has lovely big golden poops - but poor girl isn't happy as she lives for her food and has to watch Benny eat his a foot away :(

I'm just sticking to minimal pellets and lots of timmy hay for now (the meadow hay doesn't seem as good for her tum either), plus a tiny square of cabbage just to cheer her up when Benny gets his.

Got a Vet appointment a 6pm. Going to see Rebecca Penn at Abbey Vets in Barnsley as I'm told she's good with Rabbits.

Louise

Syringe feeding did not go well. :(

Mashed a few pellets up and really watered them down. She took about 1ml and refused to take anything else. Going to try and get some more fluid in her as she’s only taken 10ml of fluid last night and 5ml first thing this morning.

She hasn’t eaten anything (other then a few nibbles at breakfast yesterday) in well over 24 hours.

Louise

Sounds like a prob in the caecum to me :?
After reading about Phill's Bun Iris's probs I am wondering could it be a prob in the caecum secondary to a grossly abnormal uterus :? Sorry, just thinking aloud :oops:
Is she passing any normal currant-like poops?
TBH I would think about getting her to a Vet before 600pm :?
Can you get any sub/cut fluids into her?
Please let us know how she gets on.
Janex

I've been on the phone for the last half an hour trying to get hold of my OH to see if he can come home from work early and take us to the Vets before 6pm. Unfortunately his mobiles turned off so I'm just going to have to keep trying. I don’t drive so cant take her myself.

She's not passing any normal poo's. I can’t give her any sub-cut fluids as I haven’t got the equipment and I've never done it before.

If she gets any worse I'm just going to ask an emergency vet to come to the house.

Louise

Just spoken to the OH. He's going try his hardest to get home as early as possible. Apparently one of the work vans has broken down and he's got to wait until its repaired and go and pick it up.

Phoned the Vets and made the appointment an hour early. I've let them know there may be a chance we can get there sooner and the lovely receptionist said that was fine.

Wish the Vets wasn’t so far away as I could walk there myself with her if it was only a few miles. Unfortunately our nearest Rabbit savvy Vet is good 45 mins away in the car.

Louise

good luck at the vets louise . Rebecca knows her stuff speaking from my experience and recomendations from others .

hope your bun feels better soon

Angie

Unfortunately Pandora passed away in my arms half an hour ago. :cry: :cry:

She took a turn for the worst and started having breathing difficulties and she couldn’t sit up properly. My OH was on his way home to take us to the emergency vets but it was to late.

Rest in peace my beautiful girl. Even through you weren’t with us for very long you will be very much remembered.

Thank-you for all your kind messages.

Louise

Back