• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding boy to a pair - help please?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Although I have advertised Hann on the rehoming pages I have really grown to love him (despite his boisterousness!), so if he will bond with Esmerelda and Bob I am going to keep him.

However I'm beginning to feel it is doomed to fail as for the last week I have been putting Hann out in the run whilst the other two have been loose. BUT...rather than as expected, Bob hating Hann, it is Esmerelda who seems to dislike him! Bob is not remotely interested in him, but Esmerelda runs round alternatively sniffing curiously to jumping on the run trying to bite him, and then humping Bob because she can't get to him! (She is dominant but is usually quite peaceful.)

I'm wondering if this is because Hann is in 'their' territory of the garden? Or because Esmerelda is un-neutered?
I do not want to get her neutered, but does anyone have any other ideas for introductions? (I have also been swopping their stuff around.)

I bonded Esmerelda and Bob 2 months ago, as Bob's mate died and that went very smoothly. I understand all bunns are different though.

It will be 6 weeks since his neuter at the weekend so the plan is that I will put them in neutral territory and leave them there for a few days if they seem to be getting on. Any tips please?
Perhaps I should put him in his dog crate in the neutral territory whilst they are loose? Any thoughts?

I really want this to work as if it doesn't then he really will need a home as I just cannot afford all the costs of a playhouse and run for him as well as a bunny friend!

Sorry, I seem to be the queen of long rambling posts!
thanks x

I am in no way an expert on bonding bunnies but I think you are really gonna have your work cut out trying to bond two bucks with an un-spayed Doe :shock: :shock:
(Are you aware of the HIGH risk of uterine CANCER in un-spayed Does? Most Un-spayed Does over the age of 3,often even younger, have an early UC. Being un-spayed significantly reduces life expectancy)
Back to your question. I think you will be EXTREMELY lucky to bond these three bunnies. Neutral territory is obviously a must, but I suspect whatever you do the hormonal issues of Esmerelda and the 'buck+buck scenario are going to be a 'challenge' that I doubt will work.
PLEASE PROOVE ME WRONG!!
Janex

Hi Jane
Thanks for your advice, thats what I though really. :(

I was aware of the uterine cancer risk but Esmerelda is a foster bun and the lady who runs the rescue told me in her experience she has had a lot of does die young and she thinks this actually has something to do with spaying. (I'm not trying to start a debate here as this is something I really know little about, and i can't pretend to know all the reasons behind it.)

Esmerelda is a year old so perhaps it is something I need to think about getting done in the near future.

x

I can understand totally reservations about spaying. In my early days of being a bunny mummy I was VERY against spaying. But I have now learned so much and am 100% convinced that spaying is a LIFE SAVER.
I respect any opinion to the contrary but I would ALWAYS have a Doe in my care spayed.
Janex

I agree with Jane with regards to the neutering. I have 2 groups of 3 here that consist of 2 boys and 1 girls, both of which were pairs where a single male was added, however all of these bunnies are neutered. I think unless you get your female neutered it is unlikely to work.

I don't think you should just put them together as a group of 3. Try bonding Hann to Esmerelda first, although don't take her away from her 'husband' for too long - about 20 mins max. every day on neutral territory. If she eventually accepts him you can then do the same with Hann and Bob, for a few weeks or however long it takes - before trying them in neutral territory as a group.

Esmerelda's personality may be dominant apart from the fact she's not spayed - spaying might make her less territorial, but it's not guaranteed. None of my girls are spayed and they just take longer to bond I think, so be patient. Hope it works! :)

Really though if it were me, I'd get Hann a girlfriend or keep him as a single alongside the pair for company.

mandy said:
But in this kind of scenario wouldn't the problem usually be between the bucks?

Not necessarily as the Doe is NOT SPAYED and the Bucks are neutered.
I think it would be a BIG problem full stop!! :D

Janex

Back