• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit crates

Sue

Mama Doe
Hi, Please can anyone with house rabbits advise upon the optimum size for puppy crate to hold 2 small rabbits (mini-rex lionhead cross and mini-lop)? Would an indoor rabbit cage be a better option? Thanks.

as big as possibal. :wink:
personaly i would recomend the crate, a) you can add a second leval. b)they are often cheaper than an indoor cage of a similar size. c)most indoor cages open from the top or have only small side doors which are difficult for buns (especialy the more elderly) to use.

i have 2 indoor rabbits one is about the size of mini-lops, one is probably a bit bigger than them. I have them in a 48" dog crate and have also attached a puppy playpen onto the crate to give them extra space to run about in while im at work. If they are not going to spend much time in the crate then you may be able to get away with a 42" dog crate but my opinion is get the biggest one u have space for :wink: There is a link in the rabbit care reference section about how to add a shelf to a dog crate.
By the way.. i got my dog crate from ebay

another good idea if you have the space is to join 2 dog crates end to end to make a 2x6 cage - only pliers and cable ties needed. Tia my nethie is the smallest rabbit I have, but she has the most energy - she just loves to run up and down binkying! :)

Also depends on how long they will be in them. I have two indoor rabbit cages for my german lops but they virtually never get shut in them - they are mainly just there for toilet facilities!

Hi,

Thanks everso for the brill advice - I'm off to trawl e-bay! PS the buns will be out all over the house when I'm in and go back home when I go to work (for their security). Now the weather has improved will also be able to go in their run of an evening. :D

Back