• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One Glum Bun...

Vic&Oat

Young Bun
Took Oat to the Vets this week - for his neutering! All seemed to be going well until 20 mins after we got him home and he decided to bite through by the operation wound. Lots of blood and frantic dash back to vets. Bunny admitted overnight, two more 'incidents' and the result now is.. the dreaded CONE! For at least a week! Poor little thing. Some horrible moments for us :cry: and now a glum bunny who is having to put up with antibiotics syringed into his mouth twice a day and his bits being wiped with antiseptic twice a day :shock:. Bedding needs changing completely daily. Any tips for syringe feeding antibiotics? . Hurry back to normal Oat!!

7fd947ca.jpg

Vic xxxxxxxx

Vic&Oat said:
Any tips for syringe feeding antibiotics?
Awww poor bunny! How much antibiotic have you got to give...I tend to get something tasty like a small piece of apple or carrot and score it deeply (but not all the way through) with a knife, then put the antibiotic on the food and let it soak in for a bit before feeding it to bunny. I recently also did a similar thing but mixing it with a few oats and a little water (but only if your bun needs to put on a little weight). Mine tend to notice that something tastes a bit odd, but not odd enough for them to stop eating it!! Or you can mix the antibiotic with a tiny bit of ribena before syringing to make it taste less bitter.

Good luck, hope little Oat recovers quickly - he looks adorable!

I usually put the necessary drops of antibiotic in a dish (I use one of those very tiny things for soya sauce) and then add a few drops of apple juice, syringe it up, pick up bun, and syringe it into his/her mouth - they usually just swallow it.

Alternatively, cut a sugar snap pea in half, put the antibiotics in it and feed it to the bun.

Poor little Oat, he doesn't look at all impressed! How is he coping with eating his caecotrophs?

The exact same thing happened when I got Crunchie neutered, she opened her stitched 3 times!! The vets were shocked :lol:

She had a cone too, she hated it but i was allowed to take it off for eating etc

My vet said they wouldn't put Beany in a cone as she won't be able to eat her caecals or clean herself, but she's still licking - although the wound seems closed again at the moment :?

Aww poor little oat.... :(
Mine ate her stitches a few days after surgery... but once she had opened them she didnt touch them and her belly is all healed up now...
Hope oat feels better soon! and then no more cone yey!

Oat is not very impressed at the moment. He has been very lively and been trying to eat his caecos but getting them smished around his cone. Wound looking much much better but area still a bit matted as he can't get there to groom himself (we are washing it for him twice a day though).
Some excellent tips on syringe feeding - thanks guys :) . Going to administer a dose in a mo (0.2mg Baytril as a preventative measure) so may employ one of the tricks.

Got a few tantrum feet flicks just now! :roll: Vets again on Thursday though so hopefully will be able to de-cone the poor little mite.

Fingers crossed.

Vic xxxxx

Back