• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Iris U/D 3.30pm YAYAYAY

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Iris took a turn for the worse on Friday and has gone to the vets thismorning for a scan of her tum to see if were dealing with a cancer which Hazel (vet) thinks we are. Please send as many good wishes as you can to my old Lady and cross your fingers that it's not cancer and she's just being weird XXXXX

:( :(

Oh dear Phill!!

Sending bucket loads of positive vibes for Iris. Really hope she will be OK.
Please let us know what Hazel says.
Janex

The vet has just rang, it was Morag not hazel who did the scan, there are alot of strange and worrying things happening in Iris's belly, Firstlt her tum and intestines are full of fluid and there is no food in site despite her eating like a horse, there is a strange looking mass at the base of her intestines which Morag couldn't make out properly on the scan because of all the fluid but it looks like a straight solid white line, and what looks to be some serosis of her liver. Nothing conclusive came from the scan other than she doesn't have worms so the vets have my permission to open her up and see what we are dealing with, it isn't very likely that is not cancer and it's not likely that my old lady will come through this operation but i have to try as nothing we are doing at the moment is helping her in any way. I will know later this afternoon what has happend XXX

Massive hugs coming your way Phill.
Whatever happens now you have done everything possible for Iris. Once she is under GA she wont know a thing and if she doesnt make it she will not have suffered. She cant have been 'feeling' too poorly as she has been eating loads and quite perky.
The only one suffering is you :(
I so hope you get some good news. Just sometimes these Oldies can defy all the odds.
Will keep a close eye on this thread from now on.
Janex

Oh Phill - will be thinking of Iris and am sending a shed load of healing vibes for her and a great big HUG for youxx

Thanks Guys, i think i will be heartbroken if she doesn't make, i know i've only had her since Feb but she is so lovely and such a character!

sending vives to you and iris phil, i am also having a worrying day to day as skye is having most of her ear removed as we speak :cry: :cry:

keep us upto date hun!

Eve x

Thanks Eve, please give skye a snuggle from me when she gets home! She'll be alright with only one ear XXXXX

Phill said:
Thanks Eve, please give skye a snuggle from me when she gets home! She'll be alright with only one ear XXXXX

i know but it just doesnt feel right, but she has got a nice warm rug out of it instead of a hutch we bought her a hutch but couldnt bare putting her out in the end so she has become a house bun, although i dont like the way she just helps herself to breakfast when i get up late, she goes to the box "samples for the adoptors at the rescue" under the stairs and helps her self and doesnt care if its piggie food :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

aww poor girl - I wonder why the vet didn't think it was worms because it sounds like redworm - they hatch out of cysts in the intestines in spring and overwhelm the bunny - Do hope she gets sorted!

Back