• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A little help please..........

MandyM

Mama Doe
Hi Gang

So sorry I’ve not been on for a while only it’s been really hectic at work and home, hope everyone is well.

I’m a bit worried about Benji at the moment, he’d had mucky bum, I think he over indulged when he was outside the other day, so I cut out his dry food and just put him on a hay only diet, now he’s been on hay for the last few days (fifth day today) he’s producing normal poops loads in fact but he’s seems to be still getting mucky. I know it’s him doing the normal poops as I stopped in the shed the other night until he’d moved out of the tray and there was a nice pile of normal poops. I think it’s his C poops that are causing the problems, I thought that he may have hurt himself so he was having difficulty eating them hence getting in a mess, but I sat and watched him and he seems to be cleaning himself fine.

I took him to the vets on Friday as I was worried as it’s most unlike him, our vet checked him all over and said that he was fine and to carry on with the hay only diet. I have to say that he does seem his usual self apart from being a little mucky down below. He did ask about how much sun he got, I told him about our set up and he said that having the voile over the window and door would cut out some of the rays out. I have to admit that although they have access to the run at all times they do tend to stop in the shed. I think he was getting at the fact that he could be deficient in Vitamin D.

Just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem, I have to admit I’m at a loss.

Grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks.

Aww Mandy Sorry benji is worrying you, I have no idea im afraid but i hope he sorts himself out soon XXX

Did you Vet check Benji's teeth?
Buns with molar spurs sometimes pass unformed caecotrophs which they then dont eat.
Janex

JCO said:
Did you Vet check Benji's teeth?
Buns with molar spurs sometimes pass unformed caecotrophs which they then dont eat.
Janex

Yep Jane, he checked his teeth and they were fine infact he was very pleased with his nashers. What do you think about the Vit D deficiency could it be a possibility?

Awww poor Benji :(

Is it worth cutting his pellets down a little bit to help? Thats what Ive just done with my two, he might be getting too much goodness with eating grass etc! I also took Rudy off brocolli when he got it and that seemed to work xxxx

loopylop said:

Is it worth cutting his pellets down a little bit to help? Thats what Ive just done with my two, he might be getting too much goodness with eating grass etc! I also took Rudy off brocolli when he got it and that seemed to work xxxx

Thanks hun, poor little guy's been on hay only for the past five days, his normal poops are fine just seems to be his c poops, really confused :?

MandyM said:
loopylop said:

Thanks hun, poor little guy's been on hay only for the past five days, his normal poops are fine just seems to be his c poops, really confused :?

Awww :( Poor benji, thats really odd :?

I put Rudy on veg & hay diet for a while - but he lost lots of weight, might be worth keeping an eye on Benji's weight if he's only on hay :(

How confusing for you hun :?

Hi, sorry I can't offer any advice, just wanted to say hope the little man is ok.x

Isn't there something in pellets to give buns Vit D? Beany rarely gets direct sunlight, except in summer when she lies in the living room where the sun comes in or goes out in the garden for a while :?

I hope you can work it out :?

Thanks guysxxx I've rung the vets up this morning just to get a little advice, just waiting for Doug to get back to me.

Well he's phoned me back and said just keep him clean and it should clear up. I'm just concered that he's been on a hay only diet for nearly six days now and there doesn't seem to be any improvement :( His normal poops are fine just seems to be his C poops. I'm adding probiotics to his water too. :(

I'm going to give Benji's bum a bit of a wash tonight, what would you recommend as a good bunny shampoo? I've been using johnsons baby wipes but I feel if I give it a wash it may be a bit better for him.

Thanks

Well I'm giving Benji another couple of days and if there's no improvement I'm ringing the vets again.

Got home last night and he was ok didn't appear to be any mess on the shed floor and he was dry, no excess poop on him, although he does look a bit scraggily from where I've been cleaning him with baby wipes. Went down this morning and he was in a mess again, defo his C poops. I will continue with hay, water and pro-biotic.

Was having a surf yesterday on the net to see if I could shed any light on things and came across some info, which I'll mention to the vet, he could have an inflammatory disease of the cecum, signs are soft stools along with normal dry stools, staining of fur around the anal area and mess on feet, usually still eating and alert. All the things he has?!?!?

Sorry to go on just worried about my little fella :(

MandyM said:
I'm going to give Benji's bum a bit of a wash tonight, what would you recommend as a good bunny shampoo? I've been using johnsons baby wipes but I feel if I give it a wash it may be a bit better for him.

Thanks

I have used a rabbit & guinea shampoo by "SHAWS" before, it was pretty good - although i preffered the baby wipes.

loopylop said:
MandyM said:

Thanks

I have used a rabbit & guinea shampoo by "SHAWS" before, it was pretty good - although i preffered the baby wipes.

Cheers Hun x

MandyM said:
loopylop said:
MandyM said:

Thanks

Cheers Hun x

Good luck xxx

Back