• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple pips!

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
I nearly had a heart attack when I just saw Daisy with her head in my bin and an apple core in her mouth, since (as far as I'm aware?) the pips are poisonous. I shoed her out of the way to take it off her, only to find a neat little pile of apple pips and a stalk from another core she'd eaten :lol: :lol: . Seems she's not as bad at knowing what's not good for her as I thought :lol: .

apple pips contain a cyanide compound (as do cherry, apricot, and peach pits for anyone who's intested...) however the body can detoxify cyanide in small doses, and the number of apple seeds it takes to pack a lethal punch is therefore huge.

clever girl - that reminds me - I didn't let the buns on the garden last year as it was covered in ragwort - I thought I'd dug it all up this year but noticed Tia recoil from a little plant the other evening - It was ragwort! So it must smell nasty or something too - she didn't even try it (phew) :)

I always used to give pips as I never knew and they'd leave them all over the lawn! I remove them now, but it seems I don't give my buns the credit they deserve!

Back