• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

L'Oreal take over of Body Shop

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
The Body Shop—Still Cruelty-Free!

I have taken this info from the BUAV website.

Over the years The Body Shop, with their firm and consistent stance against animal testing, has fought alongside the BUAV to end the suffering endured by animals in the cosmetics industry.

While it came as a shock to many of us when it was recently bought out by L’Oreal, the BUAV are happy to announce that The Body Shop is set to remain a cruelty-free business-as-usual. A letter from The Body Shop to BUAV has confirmed that the company will operate as a separate independent entity within the L’Oreal family, their whole management and executive team will remain in place, and they have pledged to continue to adhere to the strict standards which made them the first international cosmetics company to sign up to the Humane Cosmetics Standard.

With corporate buy-outs becoming more and more frequent, ethical companies like The Body Shop will continue to be bought out by larger corporations because of their increasingly profitable nature. That’s why it’s important that compassionate consumers should send a strong message to major corporations like L’Oreal that cruelty-free cosmetics continue to be a lucrative business. A boycott of The Body Shop could hamper the further expansion and distribution of a brand that has done so much to champion the cause of laboratory animals. Rather than turning our backs on trusted companies that are looking to expand their businesses and make their products more mainstream and widely available, we should continue to support The Body Shop – who continue to lead the charge in ending the use of animals for cosmetic testing, regardless of who their parent company might be.

The BUAV will continue to monitor the animal testing policies of The Body Shop and L’Oreal and will, of course, challenge those policies whenever necessary to protect the interests of animals. In the coming months the BUAV hope to meet with L’Oreal and The Body Shop to discuss The Body Shop’s continuing adherence to the Humane Cosmetics Standard.

I never buy anything by L'Oreal, it's good to know The Body Shop stuff is still OK.

Rabswood

Thanks for that :thumb:

Ooooooooooooh the thought of going without the body shop wasn't worth thinking about :lol: :lol:

Oop's just realised that this is in 'Rabbit Chat' :oops:

Have only just noticed that rabbit chat has been added, thought I was in 'General chat'

Rabswood

loopylop said:
Thanks for that :thumb:

Ooooooooooooh the thought of going without the body shop wasn't worth thinking about :lol: :lol:

yes and may i also add :thumb: giving it the 2 thumbs up. :lol:

rabswood said:
The Body Shop is set to remain a cruelty-free business-as-usual. A letter from The Body Shop to BUAV has confirmed that the company will operate as a separate independent entity within the L’Oreal family, their whole management and executive team will remain in place, and they have pledged to continue to adhere to the strict standards which made them the first international cosmetics company to sign up to the Humane Cosmetics Standard.
Rabswood

"separate independent entity "?.............so profits made by the body shop will in fact remain those of the body shop and will only be used in the development of cruelty free products?

if this is in fact the case.....what the hell did L'Oreal pay 'ican'tremember howmany' million for in the first place?! :?

yeah.....sorry bodyshop i'm not convinced......besides i'm now a lush addict :wink:

I'm so glad they will be run seperately. The thought of the Body Shop having its reputation but being stocked with animal tested products is nasty nasty!!

AMETHYST

Does it really make any difference whether Body Shop continue to sell animal cruelty free products though? They're still owned by one of the biggest animal testers in the world, so indirectly even if you buy their cruelty free products, you're paying for the animal testing.

I saw similar arguments put forward when James Wellbeloved were taken over, and I've never understood why it's one rule for the shop front and another for the parent company.

But if L'Oreal see how much money they can make from cruelty free products there is more likelihood of them going totally cruelty free themselves.

the happy bee said:
But if L'Oreal see how much money they can make from cruelty free products there is more likelihood of them going totally cruelty free themselves.

You may be onto something there, We need loadsa ppl to boycott loreal though for it to work :? xx

the happy bee said:

It's a nice thought, but it's a very naive one too (no offence intended whatsoever). L'Oreal already make billions out of tested products, the sales of the Body Shop are miniscule in comparison and are not likely to ever make a change in L'Oreal's moral code. The only way to make a dint in L'Oreal's pocket is to boycott all their products, and their subsidiaries products, including the Body Shop.

I'll say it again, please read the links I posted before, and you'll see that even if L'Oreal suddenly changed their stance on animal testing that wouldn't even nearly make them an ethical company!

Personally, even if I didn't already boycott due to the Nestle link, I wouldn't feel it was right to buy from the Body Shop anymore, as regardless of how they function at store/brand level, they are now owned by a company whose ethical stance is awful.

KathyM said:
the happy bee said:

It's a nice thought, but it's a very naive one too (no offence intended whatsoever).

Non taken. :)

harvester said:
I'll say it again, please read the links I posted before, and you'll see that even if L'Oreal suddenly changed their stance on animal testing that wouldn't even nearly make them an ethical company!

Personally, even if I didn't already boycott due to the Nestle link, I wouldn't feel it was right to buy from the Body Shop anymore, as regardless of how they function at store/brand level, they are now owned by a company whose ethical stance is awful.

So so sooo true.

Yeah Im afraid I also go with the fact that the parent company is so much to be despised, that to continue buying from the Body Shop will feedinto its coffers in some ( albeit small ) way. Im with the Naturewatch thinking on this. I know it can be a pain when they wont endorse something like Natural Source because of its parent company...... The argument that if you keep buying cruelty-free products from the Body Shop will make L'Oreal realise thats its a worthwhile market - surely works better if cruelty-free sales in other makes goes up and they realise that people do think with their wallets and feet and are willing to leave a brand that they liked because it SOLD OUT, because when it comes down to it - isnt that what Mr,Mrs Roddick and their silent partner did???

Saying all this - Im glad I stocked up before all this happened, but there are plenty of other stockists which are really good. Check out wwwbeautynaturals.co.uk ( free postage) or Liz Earle just as a couple of examples.

PS According to some info that just came from Naturewatch - on an non-cruelty issue. L'oreal were involved in an unfair dismissal case - some woman was fired because she wasn't "pretty enough" How's that for nice company policies ? :roll:

I haven't bought L'Oeal for about 22 years.

It's true what you say about them now owning the Body Shop, by buying Body Shop we will be indirectly supporting L'Oreal.

It seems acceptable to BUAV as they will still be letting Body Shop use their cruelty free bunny symbol?

Rabswood

I have stopped using body shop, although I buy nearly all my stuff from Lush or their sister make up company "B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful"
Not only is the stuff natural, sutible for vegitarians and creulty free, it's great for my skin, I had dry skin, itchy patches. Now I've stated using lush it has gone completely! Oh and it all smells lovely!

louise and Gus said:
I have stopped using body shop, although I buy nearly all my stuff from Lush or their sister make up company "B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful"
Not only is the stuff natural, sutible for vegitarians and creulty free, it's great for my skin, I had dry skin, itchy patches. Now I've stated using lush it has gone completely! Oh and it all smells lovely!

Could you recommend something for faces? My mum gets really bad eczema on her face and I was going to treat her to some Lush stuff for her birthday in August.

Back