• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

moulting rabbit

elaine

Mama Doe
I have a french lop here who lives outside and has been stuck in serious moult for about 8-10 wks he has been to the vet and is in erfect health but will not come out of moult, has anyone got any ideas

Some rabbits get into a permenant moult, I can't remember the reason but some just do it all the time. If he is generally in good health otherwise and doesn't have any bald spots, it's no reason to panic, just keep an eye on it and brush him plenty.

When I had a shorthaired German Shepherd, she would shed so much - not just for her winter and summer coat, but all the time you'd stroke her and get loads of loose fur attached to your hand.
I bought a 'fur and coat conditioner' which was designed at reducing excessive moulting in dogs, and sure enough, it worked, and her coat because so soft and shiny!
I think it just contained a variety of oils and vitamins, but I can't look up the ingredients as my computer's gone a bit messed up right now :?
But I know there's a rabbit oily supplement for their fur, might be worth looking at the ingredients and asking your vet?

You could try garlic, it sometimes speeds up there moult. You put a quarter of a clove of garlic in there drinking water and leave it there for 1 week. Just keep topping up the water, this somehow [not proven] heats there body tempreture and they moult quicker. If it dosent work then theres no harm done. val

Back