• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom Pregnancy

Barney

Young Bun
Hello.

The last could of days now Sandy are lop eared rabbit has not been acting her usual self. She's usually a very hyperactive bunny. But the last couple of days she's been very queit and keeping herself to herself.

When let out during the day instead of playing about in the garden she now keeps herself behind some big peices of timber in the shade and away from everything including Barney. Normal they follow each other about. Both rabbits have been neuterd.

Last night at around 5am we both had to get up and go outside to the hutch as (we assume sandy) had been stamping constantly for around 30mins. They do usauly stamp every now and then but not for this lenght in time. Again Sandy seemed very queit.

Could this be a case of a Phantom Pregnancy?

Thanks in advanced.
John & Nicci

I'm not sure, but I think the phantom pregnancies stop once they've been neutered? Also, she would probably be making a nest :?

Anyone else any idea?

I've neevr heard of phantom pregnancy in a neuterred rabbit. Is she eating properly and drinking ok? Rabbits hide away when they are unwell so keep and eye on her.

I doubt it is a phantom pregnancy, although spayed Does can have them
It sounds to me like there is a predator about. A Fox or a Cat?
When you let your Bun out she will be able to smell where the predator has been and will be terrified.
Is she eating/pooping OK?
Is there any chance she and her partner have had a fight?
That might cause her to be stressed and affraid.
Hope you can work out what has upset her.
Janex

doesn't sound like a phantom pregnancy - have you checked her bum for fly eggs? Sometimes they can act like this when in pain - is she eating normally?

Thanks for the replies.

Sandy is eating/drinking/pooping fine. Dont think they've had a fight as today they have been very close and cuddly as per usual. She is however still a little quiet.

Never seen a fox about as for cats we think we saw one acouple of months ago but nothing since.

Would wasps scare them? We seem to have had a lot of them about the last couple of days. Could she have been stung?

Thanks
John & Nicci

She could have been stung, have you been able to check her over?

Sophie my lop goes absolutely mad if she sees a cat, the change in her behaviour is really odd and I can tell straight away if she has seen one. Is it possible that the cat has been around? Is your buns hutch safely protected from predators?

Do you think your area might have foxes in it? To be woken up by your bun thumping at 5am sounds to me like there is something your bun is afriad of.

Please make sure your hutch is very secure and I hope your bun is okxx

yes I doubt a wasp would have stung her in the night - I cover my hutches with rugs at night, just so cats can't see them, and they feel secure - plus with the lighter mornings now it blocks out the light and noise from the birds a bit, and they don't wake up so early.

Barney said:
Never seen a fox about

...but I'd wager a hefty sum that Mr Fox is about.
Do be extra vigilant re hutch safety. Foxes can chew threw thin wire cage fronts and open just about any lock but a padlock!!
Remember the underside of the hutch too.
If it is raised off the ground a Fox can get undeneath and gnaw through the wooden base. Often wood weakened by damp etc is an easy target.
Janex

Hi again!

Yes we cover our hutch over with a thick plastic which is the full length of the hutch and isn't raised off the ground.

Apologies for sounding slightly dum :oops: but I am afraid I don't really know an awful lot about foxs. We live in quite a built up area and the back yard isn't easy accessable as we have a large pond area that covers the whole of the garden at the bottom which is like a big conservatory with a huge pond in it and the front of the house is on a main road.

If she has seen a preditor then I would have said it to be a cat more than a fox. Do you usually find foxes in built up areas?

I have since held her and she appears to be fine and not indication of any stings etc.. :D

Thanks again for all your help and advice!

Nicci & John X :)

Barney said:
If she has seen a preditor then I would have said it to be a cat more than a fox. Do you usually find foxes in built up areas?

Nicci & John X :)

YES!!

I live in a very built up area of SW London. We have Foxes wandering about the estate in BROAD DAYLIGHT.
They are also known to go INTO the HOUSE :evil: :evil:

Janex

I live about 3 miles away from Jane in what is probably a more built up area than Jane, I rarely see foxes in my garden but I know they do their rounds here. I do know that they do come into my back garden on the odd occasion which has 6 foot high fences around it.

Donna who also lives nearby got up one morning to find one asleep on her dog bed in her lounge, it had accessed the house via the cat flap. I would consider no where safe from a fox.

I would suspect the thumping is as a result of some predator being in the garden.

the only time I ever saw a fox in my garden was when I lived in London - urban foxes are more fearless than country ones, and they scavenge and climb like feral cats do, so if a cat can get in then a fox can.

OH MY GOD! I had no idea :shock:

Looks like we need to fox proof the hutch and garden ASAP even more so!

I feel like such an idiot now bless no wonder she has been so different. :(

Thanks again for all your help everyone

If you have any suggestions on what best to do to keep Mr Fox out please share as we would be most greatful!

Nicci & John x x x

Back