• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling very fed up

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
The last 3 days I have been inundated with people ringing saying the same thing
"I have 2 rabbits and ones had babies...the pet shop said they were 2 girls/boys..can you take them?"
I am full so the answer is no..however I have gone round to 2 of the houses to give advice for the sake of the animals...they have needed advice...on food (lettuce, bread and rice cakes!) and nail trimming and grooming and fly control :( .....and at each of these 2 places the mother not only has a litter of 6 weeks old babies but has a 2nd litter in a nest :evil:
One lady even said" this is the 3rd litter she's had but she killed the other 2 lots" and when I asked why did she not seperate the parents after the 1st babies appeared she replied "it's not my fault"....
.....I said "Well who the f*-*.s fault is it"...not exactly polite I admit but I'm running out of patience with stupid people who cause so many problems for the animals they buy without any proper thought.

I now have a long waiting list including 33 baby rabbits :( When will people learn.....

Angie you should have seen the 1st place I went to..the flies :twisted: ..so many due to the dirty conditions....gave lots of advice and left leaflets but sadly doubt it will have much effect....I just wanted to bring all the buns home...hardest part of this is having to say there is no room..some people don't want to wait..it's really sad..

Re: .

honeybunny said:
Angie you should have seen the 1st place I went to..the flies :twisted: ..so many due to the dirty conditions....gave lots of advice and left leaflets but sadly doubt it will have much effect....I just wanted to bring all the buns home...hardest part of this is having to say there is no room..some people don't want to wait..it's really sad..
But its not hard keeping them clean :evil: ,my litter trays are done everyday
ive not seen a fly in the summerhouse yet
These type of people make me so angry

:( so sad - when we had that thread about the deaf puppy I just lost faith totally - If people can deliberately breed and kill little cute puppies, in this dog mad country of ours, then what hope is there for rabbits and guinea pigs to ever have any level of care or respect?

I felt so down I cried for a day because it was so hopeless trying to help - I felt like my 7 rabbits and 20 piggies was just pis**ng in the wind compared to the scale of desperate need out there :(

Much easier for me to get over it though as I haven't got it shoved in my face all the time like a rescue has - I had to conclude that yes, what we can do to help is just a drop in the ocean, but it means the WORLD to those few animals that we help to a better life - It's tragic for the rest, but you can't save them all...That's become a bit of a sad mantra for me really.

You do what you can for the lucky ones who've found you in time Jill - that's the best you can do, and knowing your limits is a vital part of helping them.

I really dont know how you rescues cope :(
If it were me I'd either be in Holloway Prison on a Murder Charge or a victim of suicide.
I feel so totally inadequate cos although my 31 Buns are cared for there are THOUSANDS out there who are not.
Oh dear I feel depression kicking in and thats even more useless to everybun...... :roll: :cry: :oops:

Janex

Aliandbuns said:
honeybunny said:
.....I said "Well who the f*-*.s fault is it"

Did she have a reply? I'm just interested to find out what goes through the minds of people like that.

she said.."I suppose I understand why you are a bit cross" A bit? :shock: ..she hadn't noticed the steam coming out of my ears!

how awful- i could cry when i hear stories like that- god bless all you rescue folk out there- it must be heartbreaking.

bunnymadhouse said:
are you going back to check on them jill .

I'm supposed to be getting the older babies in when I have space..that won't be for about 3 weeks...and that's only if rehomong goes well...as have others on list 1st...I will go to collect them to check on others. Trouble is I could spend all my time doing the rounds of these people.....

Have to say one family..who gave in Milan, Rio and co..and who have rung to say another lot of babies appeared after I had been ( I knew mum was pregnant again...) were really nice...they just had not been given any info by pet shop..and rang RSPCA for help and advice and were given my number :evil: . They have since had the dad neutered at my vets and gave me a donation last time and will give me another one to take the others..they are also buying a bigger hutch and run for the buns they are keeping, and have changed what they feed...so some good news there. :D

Last edited:
I know just how you feel Jill, I get the same problem with people with guinea pigs. I got a call this morning from a lady who said she was over run with them, could I help. Within an hour I had 8 of them in my car. Her story was very vague but it seems she bred them for her friends then the homes fell through, silly woman didnt realise how quickly they breed :evil: At least 1 of these is definatly pregnant again. She had 6 of them crammed in a 24" filthy hutch :evil: Luckily she only has 2 boys now (she wouldnt let me take them) so she wont be getting any more problems.
Its easy enough to give lots of advice to some of these people but you feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall sometimes when you realise you are waisting your breath :roll:

I think if I started a rescue I'd be on drugs to kill off my emotions. I could not handle it! If you can't be assed to read up about an animal before you buy it, don't buy it! Every rabbit book I own at least mentions about breeding and how boys and girls should be seperated. I can understand if they didn't realise after the first litter, but the third! And she's probably pregnant again.
I'm a member of the BRC and as such I will offer advice about any aspect of rabbit keeping, even if the person didn't take one of my rabbits, and I get cross enough about that!
'Is my old guinea pig hutch big enough? Can't I feed it table scraps? Why is it sad when I don't spend any time with it or let it out for a run or even talk to it!' I get so angry, but try to at least sound calm about it and explain that they need to fix things and if they are unwilling, they should rehome the poor creature. I explain that rescue centres are generally full and that making the changes is a lot less hassle than they think.
Why treat a dog like a member of the family, but dump a bunny at the bottom of the garden and ignore it? That's no fun for anyone!

You are a much stronger person than me, I'd be on a killing spree.

Pet shops make me so mad. Why do they keep selling wrongly sexed animals?! :evil: Its a shame that people don't sue them for the extra cost of hutches, food and vet bills for the babies but i suppose thats why they put up signs saying they can't guarantee the sex! :( :( :(
It isn't hard to keep the rabbits clean either, some people are just filthy pigs :roll: (no direspect meant to actual pigs!)

Jill ive done nothing but think of those poor babies all night .
If we wernt due to go away i would try and sqeeze some in for you :(

its so hearbreaking :evil:

They seem to expect someone else to clean up their mess, both the petshops and the new owners.
'Sorry I can't be bothered anymore, I'll pick up the phone and make someone else deal with it!'
You can't get away with it with kids, so why with animals!
I'm mad on your behalf! We should all go around and scream at them!

Jill/Angie

I got 3 small hutches (4ft -too small, but they'd get out for several hours every day) if you need a temporary fosterer. I'm going on holiday on 24th Jun though - I have someone staying at my house for a week then.

I'll nag Gaz to get the shed & run finshed too :oops:

I would be angry too - it's so frustrating seeing people behave so appallingly with their animals. If only Lola were already spayed, I'd love to help. But we have to sort her first (don't want to end up one of the people I'm slagging off LMAO!).

raven_guest said:
They seem to expect someone else to clean up their mess, both the petshops and the new owners.
'Sorry I can't be bothered anymore, I'll pick up the phone and make someone else deal with it!'
You can't get away with it with kids, so why with animals!
I'm mad on your behalf! We should all go around and scream at them!

you can't sell your kids but you can sell your animals :(

Back