• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rain

Nay_&_Hutch

Young Bun
I just wondered... should i be doing anything to shelter my outdoors rabbit hutch from the rain? i noticed that the newspaper was getting slightly wet. :(

I've got roof opening hutches so I have a clear shower curtain permanently stapled over the front of my hutches and part way round the sides - If you need to open your hutch doors you could staple it just over the wire, or drape the shower curtain on the roof and down on the floor to cover the door, weighted with bricks - but it will heat up like a greenhouse if the sun gets on it, so make sure it's shaded.

I thought the same about the rain so I got a clear (well almost :? ) shower curtain and attatched it to the hutch. I just put some screws in the sides of the hutch but left them sticking out a bit so that I could put the curtain on them to keep it in place

RIMG0680.jpg

I've got a Scratch & Newton (?) hutch cover, that can be pulled down the front in rain. I also have a tarpaulin cover over the run part, so the bunnies can still get out and about when the rain is coming down (unless it's really heavy, as it will drive in the side of the run).

thank you! will have to get one i think... i just finished cleaning out the hutch and the newspaper was all soggy poor little fella! He seemed happy enough any how!

I'm really glad we invested in one, as it's been really useful so far. The best investment though was the tarpaulin for the run, as it only cost......£1! :lol: They love it - it's like being inside a tent in their run, and the sun still shines in at the sides.

Got some plastic clear sheeting and used some tacs to put it as a tempory rain cover. will invest in one of those proper ones though i think!

Back