• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how much science selective?

colliewoman

Mama Doe
hello all!

i just went to the local feed store/pet supply place to get another bag of rabbit royale (changed from excell because of to many sticky poos) and to my delight they have science selective in!!!! i have never seen it in there before and though the man said they have had it for ages, the lady who is normally there i'm sure said they didnt have it :?
anyway they have it in now so i bought a sack of it for the buns and a small bag of rabbit royale to last whilst i change over.
on the back of the bag it says to feed approx 50g per day, but when i weighed it out it actually seemed like quite alot. i know some of you only feed a spoonful or so so i thought i would ask on here.
the buns are 2 standard rexes (bonded), a mini rex and a nethie (bonded) and 4 11 week old rex babies 3 girlies living together and a little boy on his own waiting to go to his new home on the 12th. the babies are having ad lib feed at the moment, but they have begun to get picky so i think its time to have a set 'ration' for them now.
they all eat loads of hay (fortunately) and get a lot of green foods, in the winter they have mainly veg but now its spring/summer i am able to give them a large variety of wild leafy greens etc.
for those of you with buns of a similar size, how much science selective do you feed?
i dont want to give them too little, but on the other hand i would like them to eat more greens and hay than pellets. is there a minimum amount of pellets that they must have?
many thanks!

They don't actually need pellets at all, you can feed just hay and veg and they will be very healthy. I used to feed mine just hay and veg but i now give them a small handful of science selective in the morning as well as its quicker than chopping up fresh veg :D

I agree - I weighed out 50g of Science Selective and was surprised at how much it was! I give my pair of nethies a handful morning and evening, my lops are much bigger so they get a handful in the morning and 2 handfuls in the evening. As has already been said, as long as they have unlimited hay/grass and plenty of veg, they actually don't need pellets at all (they were originally designed as a convenient way of feeding rabbits for commercial production) so don't worry about not feeding enough.

That's good :) A lot of people weigh out 50g and think it's not very much :lol: It's higher in fibre/lower in protein that some of the other brands so they can eat more with out weight gain. I think it's also less tightly packed as the pellets seem softer then excel.

Mine have about 50g between two of them in a treatball once a day.

I would feed the babies more as they need protein for growing but the adults should be fine on a tablespoon or two if they are good hay/veg eaters.

You can vary it too, mine get slightly more in winter so they stay a little on the plumper side, now their rations are much lower as the weather is warmer so they need less energy to burn and fat to keep warm so they should drop down a little weight wise.

thanks guys!
i just fed them their 1st little amount of the pellets and they were all picked out straight away! by the time i got back from picking their daily greens all the pellets were gone :shock: they only had a few mixed in with the royale, and they picked out every last one!
i guess they are trying to tell me something :lol:
i'll keep the little ones on as much as they will clear up between feeds for now, and try the adults on about 50g per pair (the 2 big uns could do with shedding a little weight, and the 2 little uns wont eat much anyway, they like their hay and greens more!)
this sack is going to last me forever! :lol: :lol:

I feed a third of a mug each per day - they go absolutely wild for it, and scoff it all in about 5 minutes flat.

Back