• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please!!! Rabbit with wet bottom :o(

Benjiandbarney

Warren Scout
Hi everyone! I'm new to here and wonder people can give me advise. My lovely 1 yr old rabbit Barney keeps on "wetting himself" for about 4 months so he is always wet in between his legs and his bottom. We have no idea how or why he does it (he is slightly over weight but not too bad). Everytime we take him back to vets (3 x now) they shave him and it costs about £50 each time with shampoo and special creams
:eek:( So it is a case of washing and drying him every night which takes forever and also he is very sore. I am also very worried about Flystrike as we have got Rearguard for him but cannot be applied until he is all sorted :(
Wondered if anybody else has a rabbit like mine??? Any advise would be great. He is in his run with his brother every day and at night comes in the house until bedtime when he is in his hutch outside.
Many thanks

The vet should have found out the reason why he is peeing on himself (Barney, not the vet himslef :lol: ). All the vet seems to be doing is cleaning him up and not looking for the cause. Perhaps you could try looking for a vet who's a bit more rabbit-savvy. Maybe if you tell us where you live, someone here might be able to recommend a good one.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It is so fustrating!! He seems ok in himself but it cant be fun being sore.

I'm in Uckfield, East Sussex. Thanks

You could perhaps call one of the East Sussex rescues and ask which vet they use if none of the RU members are in your area...

Fairlight Rabbit Rescue
Telscombe Cliffs, East Sussex, BN10 7BN
Tel: 01273 580464 /

Raystede Centre for Animal Welfare
Raystede, The Broyle, Ringmer, East Sussex, BN8 5AJ
Tel: 01825 840252 /

RU=rabbits united, i.e. people from this forum :D

I agree, it sounds like your vet isn't looking for a cause, so I'd definitely try another vet! This is not normal so just cleaning it up every time is not getting to the bottom of the problem.

I've had a quick skim through my book and it lists some possible causes of incontinence -

e.cuniculi - a nasty parasitic disease that can also affect the brain. Have you noticed anything else unusual about your bunny or is it simply the incontinence? (just because this is the only symptom doesn't mean it should be ruled out though) I have no personal experience of this but I know several people here have and may be able to offer suggestions along those lines.

Problems with the spinal cord

Conditions causing incorrect stance to urinate, e.g. pain (arthritis, back problems, obesity etc)

Cystitis

Fight wounds causing the urine to go in the wrong direction.

Reproductive diseases.

I have a few thoughts on this......

1. My bun called Charlie used to get a wet bum sometimes cos he used to literally wee and sit in it, there was nothing wrong with him. It took me a while to get him using his litter tray all of the time instead of just sometimes, and this stopped happening as the cat litter was obviously soaking the urine up.

What does Barney live in or on? Perhaps its as simple as this?

2. Hamsters get a thing called wet tail, which I think is something to do with their kidneys, am just wondering if this is something that rabbits get too? Do you know how much he drinks or can you work it out? It may be that he wee's excessively, cos he drinks excessively, which may show something wrong with his kidneys? I'm guessing here so please don't just instantly believe me and panic.

3. I totally agree with Lynda, the vet is just relieving Barneys symptoms when he/she should really be trying to find the cause. I would seek a second opinion. If no one can suggest a vet on here, look in your yellow pages for some others near you, give some of them a call and ask a few questions. :wink:

Good luck with getting Barney well, and welcome to the forum - you'll find lots of helpful advice and support on here. :) Btw, we'll all be expecting pics of your bunnies asap. :D

Hi Bev and Lynda thank you for your kind replies.

Barney doesn't actually drink much at all, I first thought kidney problems but i dont think it is. In the evenings he comes in the house and sits on laminated flooring, he is litter trained and I have actually seen him get up and move straight after he has done a wee so not sure how he is getting so wet. It is all very strange, thought we got him sorted but it has flared up, keeps licking one of his legs so putting lots of cream on. I might try the vet again one more time and demand an answer, if not as you say find someone else!

Thanks again for your advice. How do you upload photos? Got lots to show :p

Lynda,

He isnt experiencing any other symptons. I think it may be causing him some grief when he wee's because he is sore (not half as bad as he was in the past), he is always trying to lick himself when he tries to go to the toilet.

I think he may be a little overweight... he was 2.7kgs (he is meant to be a mini lop but im not sure as he has always been big since a baby) and the vet said he should be 2kgs! He has lost some weight since then. Does anyone know the correct weight a lop should be?
Thanks

Being overweight still shouldn't really affect his peeing, I don't think it would be worth demanding they find out what the problem is, if they were rabbit-savvy, they would have done that in the first place. After all, if he perhaps requires a little surgery to correct anything, I certainly wouldn't trust them. I don't mean to scare you, honest! but I do think it would be worthwhile finding another vet.

If I remember I am sure this started happening after he was neutured, so abit worried if something went wrong :( below are some photos....they are old ones though when they were little - must take some more recent ones!!
P4170117.jpg

3377.jpg

P4170118.jpg

P4170119.jpg

Has your Vet ruled out the following:
Spinal Pain (arthitis of the spine makes it difficult for a bun to adopt the correct position to urinate)
Structural abnormality of the urethra/penis causing bun to wee at the wrong angle.
Sore hocks, again making it difficult to adopt the correct position to urinate
Urinary tract infection.
Hypercalcaemia causing thick sludgey wee due to excessive build up of calcium deposits.
Bladder calculi (stones)
Encephalitizoon Cuniculi( a protozoan parasite)
Treponamatosis (Rabbit syphillis) although crusty lesions on the genitals/nose/mouth are usually seen with this.

If I were you I would ask your Vet to try to establish the CAUSE of your Buns urinary incontinence. If your Vet is not too 'rabbit savvy' I would ask for a second opinion.
Hope your poor Bun is able to feel more comfortable soon. Urine scald is painful. :(

Janex

Back