• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed- dewlap problem

ELVIS

Warren Scout
dahlias fur under her dewlap is dropping out in clumps(shes not pulling it out) her skin looks sore :(
any advice on how to treat at home? or is it defo a vet job? im SO broke :cry:
its only been noticeable tonight. i do wonder if the heat and the fact that the area is getting damp with the constant bathing of the abcess has caused it. poor love. she was in a bad mood today too :x :(
remember that she is still on baytril and metronizadole. she had a checkup 3 days ago and all is otherwise going well. i am pretty concerned about the sore skin though :?
any help guys???? :?: :idea:

Hiya.
Sorry to hear about Dahlia's continuing problems.
As she is already on abx infected dermatitis is less likely (although not impossible :roll: )
She may have a mite infestation. This often happens in buns who are run down and Dahlia's abscess will certainly sap her immune system. Another posibility is a FUNGAL infection, possibly exacerbated by antibiotics!!
So a trip to the Vets is necessary as if it is mites then she will need them treeating or the condition will get worse. Same applies if it is Fungal.
You need to ensure the sore skin is afforded some protection so after you have bathed the abscess you need to bathe the sore skin,dry it as well as poss (gently dabbing with absorbent paper kitchen towel works well). Then smear a thin layer of Vaseline on the bare skin. This will act as a barrier to any water/saliva/abscess discharge.
Hope Dahlia feels more comfortable soon.
Janex

thankyou.
i reckon the fungal infection thing is most likely but i dunno. poor girl.
will update. :roll:

Hi Beccy
I've had a similar problem with Bob who has had a facial abcess. I was convinced it was mites, but the vet has told me that like Dahlia, the bathing has irritated his skin- and it doesn't help that he dunks his whole head in his water bowl!

Bob has actually been pulling his fur out as its been annoying him. The vet told me not to worry about it too much, just to try and keep it as dry as possible, as Jane has said.

ahhhh...thats interesting thankyou :)
last night i tried to follow my instinct and that told me to keep it dry. i put some antiseptic wound powder on it to stop it from chafing and thankfully its not so sore today :)
still want it looking at though. she s sunbathing at the moment 8)
the abcess is doing really well. its trying to heal up and hardly produces any puss. its reduced in size dramatically.
its been a waffy week though coz my dog has a sore' boys bit' and patch has had a small abcess on his hind leg. :? i sat on the kitchen floor head in hands feeling hopeless ! *i have got pmt though* :wink: :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
thanks for the advice. :) x x

ELVIS said:
and forgot to say..... my oh has been given a months notice :( :(

Sometimes life really does chuck everything at us at once :x :cry: :x
Hope your O/H gets sorted with alternative employment ASAP.

Janex

Oh goodness, what an ordeal.
I hope Dahlia, Patch and your doggie feel better soon and that your hubby can sort something out soon.
If you need help with anything during this rough time (even if it's just a quick pint!), let me know, I'm not far away :wink:

Oh bless you.
What job did your OH do? At least he's got a few weeks to find something new. I obviously don't know if he liked his job anyway, but sometimes things like this can really spur us on to better things.

I hope all your furries are better soon xx

Jane's given some good advice, but thought I'd add that fungal infections like ringworm love damp dark places - so if you're bathing her abcess and some of the water is dripping into the creases in her dewlap, it would make it ideal for a fungus to set in.
When my chinchillas had ringworm I had success using Lamisil cream (for atheletes foot) - the vet gave me loads of different expensive things which kind of helped but the Lamisil I think is what done the trick in the end!

Karly said:
Jane's given some good advice, but thought I'd add that fungal infections like ringworm love damp dark places - so if you're bathing her abcess and some of the water is dripping into the creases in her dewlap, it would make it ideal for a fungus to set in.
When my chinchillas had ringworm I had success using Lamisil cream (for atheletes foot) - the vet gave me loads of different expensive things which kind of helped but the Lamisil I think is what done the trick in the end!

Canesten's good for Fungal infections too!! :D :D

Janex

Sometimes life really does chuck everything at us at once :x :cry: :x
Hope your O/H gets sorted with alternative employment ASAP.

Janex[/quote]

i wouldnt have liked to be you this last few weeks though jane....youre so brave :oops:

JCO said:
Karly said:

Canesten's good for Fungal infections too!! :D :D

Janex

but is caniston ok if they accidently oraly injest it jane?

Back