• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

seeing in dark, brushing and best fly-strike detterant

toria

Warren Scout
I have 3 questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1st, can Rabbits see ok in the dark. Silly question I know as wild rabbits don't have a problem but as it's warmer duting the evenings now, I've left my 2 bunnys out in their shed until dark and wondered if they are ok as they jump onto and down from top of their hutch and I worry they can't see their way back down.

2nd, Toby, my Lionhead really hates being brushed. I brush him everyday and he takes one look at the brush and runs off to hide. He hates it. How can I make it less stressful for him and being able to give him the brush he needs. He is a timid rabbit, always has been. I am very patient and careful but he still hates it and he thinks I'm going to brush him everytime I go near him now and just runs off.

3rd, what is the best fly protection? Is the Bob MArtins Spot On anygood?
Bearing in mind I have 2 bonded rabbits. I thought someone must have the answer as rabbits groom each other and I need to know which is the safest and most effective?

Hope someone can help.

Oh and as regards to the brushing, could you try and feed him something yummy to distract him while you brush?

I'm very lucky, my lionhead looooves being brushed!

With the warmer weather you could trim your lionhead heads fur in the more difficult areas so it was less prone to tangling and needs less brushing. Usually it's areas like the inside of the back legs, bum and skirt around the sides... just go for the areas that tangle most.

Use blunt ended sissors and be careful not to catch the skin.

toria said:
I have 3 questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1st, can Rabbits see ok in the dark. Silly question I know as wild rabbits don't have a problem but as it's warmer duting the evenings now, I've left my 2 bunnys out in their shed until dark and wondered if they are ok as they jump onto and down from top of their hutch and I worry they can't see their way back down.

yes, I used to see loads on the caravan site really late at night whilst walking moms dog with the torch. Eddie bun spent a few nights out free range in the house when I was ill and sleeping on the settee, what a racket he made racing around everywhere :roll: :lol: :lol:

toria said:
2nd, Toby, my Lionhead really hates being brushed. I brush him everyday and he takes one look at the brush and runs off to hide. He hates it. How can I make it less stressful for him and being able to give him the brush he needs. He is a timid rabbit, always has been. I am very patient and careful but he still hates it and he thinks I'm going to brush him everytime I go near him now and just runs off.

pass, have no experience of long fluff balls

toria said:
3rd, what is the best fly protection? Is the Bob MArtins Spot On anygood?
Bearing in mind I have 2 bonded rabbits. I thought someone must have the answer as rabbits groom each other and I need to know which is the safest and most effective?

Hope someone can help.

should'nt need anything if they are on the right diet and dont suffer with sticky bum :D cleaniness of the hutch and litter trays are an must in the hotter weather though :)

If you buns have a bum problem then either rearguard from the vets or I am being told that assassi (sp) grooming lotion is a fly deterent :)

Thank you.
My bunnys have a litter tray and are litter trained, part from the odd mistake.
I have a sticky fly thing hanging from the ceiling and I leave all the cobwebs alone to catch any flys.
Toby just doesn't like to be touched with the brush or comb. I'll just have to think of something .

Raabbits can see pretty well in the dark - they must be able to they eat carrots! :lol:
As for the bob martins thing... I was thinking of using it... but after reading that just now I dont think I will!
My vet recommends rear guard and zentex or something like that lol...
I didnt realise how expensive they were! omg! truth is my rabbit probably doesnt need it, but better safe than sorry...
I just put rearguard on her friday... what a hassle! looking forward to the vet ordering some zentex in!
good luck with the bunnys!

Back