• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We have giant rabbits come in 0.O *update*

sola

Warren Scout
:shock: I work at P@H huntingdon.

Three white, large eared bunnies. I'm not sure what they are, we've never had giant bunnies come in before and I'm really annoyed.
We've also got three medium sized bunnies (an english, a chinchilla (I think) and a brown one simular to the chin) and they're big for what we usually get (dwarf lops and dutch)

I've been looking online to see what they are (they must be around 2 -2 1/2 pounds in weight by now. ) with large ears.
I thought they were flemish giants, but hopefully they won't get that big :shock: so they look british giants looking, but I can't find any decent pics of them.
I think I'll sneak my digi cam in today and take some photos.

I'm hoping my manager will get annoyed coz they're not 'cute and small ' :evil: and we can change suppliers.

Uh, just needed to get this off my chest and find out more about these buns, so I will put up some photos tonight or tomorrow.

I have a HUGE Magpie Bunny that origionated from PAH.
The person that bought her was told the bunny was a Dutch X Breed :roll: :roll:

Janex

i have realised that my mopsy is gonna be a big girl at ten weeks she looks like this
35b50c10.jpg
and all my others where tiny at her age :shock: looks like james is gonna be building her a bunny mansion!!!!!!

I think my foster bunny, Coffee, was originally from P@H. She was sold as a dwarf lop, but when i compare her to Kahlo (who is definitely a dwarf lop because she has a breeder's ring) its obvious that she is much bigger! She weighs in at about 3.5kg.

When I phoned the vet to book her vaccination they asked what breed, and I just said dwarf lop because that was what my friend had told me - when I took her in the vet just gawped and swiftly changed her notes from 'Dwarf Lop' to Dwarf Lop, less of the dwarf'!!! :lol: :lol:

They have 3 newzealand white babies in my local pets at home. Hate to think what sort of hutch they will end up in :roll:

Oh no :(

Sola, can you email KateCo and let her know please, we were due to meet with P@H today but they cancelled on us!

I would like to broach this subject with them as I suspect they will ALL go to people who want a cute little bunny rabbit and spend their lives in tiny cramped cages!!! Or go to rescues!

P@H always told me they don't do bigger breeds than Dwarf lops! How rediculous! That makes me cross as they'll have no idea what they are and what sixze they will get to!

Re: We have giant rabbits come in 0.O

sola said:
:shock: I work at P@H huntingdon.

Three white, large eared bunnies. I'm not sure what they are, we've never had giant bunnies come in before and I'm really annoyed.
We've also got three medium sized bunnies (an english, a chinchilla (I think) and a brown one simular to the chin) and they're big for what we usually get (dwarf lops and dutch)

I've been looking online to see what they are (they must be around 2 -2 1/2 pounds in weight by now. ) with large ears.
I thought they were flemish giants, but hopefully they won't get that big :shock: so they look british giants looking, but I can't find any decent pics of them.
I think I'll sneak my digi cam in today and take some photos.

I'm hoping my manager will get annoyed coz they're not 'cute and small ' :evil: and we can change suppliers.

Uh, just needed to get this off my chest and find out more about these buns, so I will put up some photos tonight or tomorrow.

thats discusting, its shouldnt be allowed

anyway for reference a flemish giant is in fact smaller that the british giant!

:D

raven_guest said:
P@H always told me they don't do bigger breeds than Dwarf lops! How rediculous! That makes me cross as they'll have no idea what they are and what sixze they will get to!

Yeah.... and their definition of a dwarf lop is dodgy!

^ Very true. If it's a lop and not a giant, it may be a dwarf, but what are it's parents? They don't know! How old is it? They don't know! How big when fully grown? They don't know, but as long as you buy one of their crappy little hutches, they don't care!
I saw a petshop selling hutches and offering a free rabbit or two guineas with every hutch! That's being responsible (not). It wasn't p@h for a change though.

We were in the huntingdon store today and they have some very sweet dutch rabbits and a couple of lops but didn't see anything that looked overly large, we were infact very impressed that they had frozen water bottles in with them as it was hot, fresh hay and veggies too :D :D
Have the rabbits been sold :? :? :?

Mark and Shell said:
We were in the huntingdon store today and they have some very sweet dutch rabbits and a couple of lops but didn't see anything that looked overly large, we were infact very impressed that they had frozen water bottles in with them as it was hot, fresh hay and veggies too :D :D
Have the rabbits been sold :? :? :?

No they were out the back, won't be put out until our cute dutch and lops have been sold. (you may have seen me, I was the one with short hair :D )

We have a very good (now assistant manger) who was a vet nurse in america and our new pet manager...uh, person...has popped round a couple of times to make sure all the animals are fine (there's one for east, west, south and north, but I can't remember their title.)

You're 99% right Raven_guest (at least with the suppliers we use, apparntly peterbrough's suppiler is loads better and they actually know what breeds and how old they are and usually keep to netherland buns.)

Also we order the rabbits in and it's up to the 'breeders' with what rabbits we get, we usually get dwarf lop crosses and dutch and the very odd english, nethie or lionhead and anything inbetween and once an almost fully grown himalyain! (I had to research if she would get bigger, but I was confident she was a himi.)

I always say to people that dwarf lops are goning to get big and always make them (lol) buy the biggest hutch they can afford.

My collegue who delt with the animal deliver commented that those rabbits look big and he replied that they were a different breed, she asked what breed and he didn't know. :roll:
:evil:

Spgreascue, I have a horrible feeling these are newzealand whites too.

Beany: I'm the only one interested, but the assistant manager did agree they should be sold as house rabbits or to go in the Thistle hall hutch.
Which we won't be getting until June!!! :evil: That was the one hutch I sold to anybody who would buy it, the next double hutch down is too small for a dwarf lop imo, but might be better than the parsley and heather.
As long as they don't buy the cheapest and smallest hutch we have (I still don't know why we sell those :evil: )

It's all guesswork with the rabbits we get in, if it's got floppy ears, it's a dwarf lop, uppy ears and it's probably a dutch cross as some people at work beleive. :? At least I know most of the colours we have in and breeds.

inka dinka doo: she's lovely, look at those ears!

Angie65: o_O' 5kg! That's almost bigger than my lhasa apso and she's a fat little thing.

racheyrabbit: my dwarf lop is staying a dwarf ;) she's 2 and a half pounds, but still bigger than my dutch.

I was right about my manager being annoyed, maybe we'll get a decent supplier next time (and decent is a term I use loosely.) Last year they kept sending us guinea pigs with ringworm :evil: :evil:
We kept sending them back :( but one day I turned round to our manager and had a rant and said we should change supliers or stop getting guiena pigs from them. He stopped the guinea pig deleivery, but after a couple of months he decided to try them again and had a chat (as they kept sending us the older ones rather than the cute babies, in his words) and we hadn't had a problem with them about it since.
Still think we should have completely changed suppliers. :evil: Anythings better than them.

Anyway, here's some piccys of one of them. She is a little longer than my dwarf lop and I'm guessing 10 weeks old? All three look the same.

DSCI0182.jpg

DSCI0183.jpg

DSCI0186.jpg

DSCI0184.jpg

She so gorgous and looks sad and worried bless her :(

Back