• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Argh!! Beany's spay is tomorrow!!!

Beany

Alpha Buck
I'm dreading it! I just know I'm going to cry and they'll think I'm a nutter :lol:

They've advised me to feed her as normal tonight, but that she shouldn't eat tomorrow morning (I have to take her in 8.15-8.45) Is this right? :?

my vet told me to feed as normal, a rabbits cant vomit. thats the reason for fasting dogs and cats before a GA in case they vomit.

loopylop said:
argh! NO, don't starve your bun before her spay! Feed her normally!!

That's what I thought I'd read somewhere!! Will they be able to tell - I don't want to get told off :? :lol:

Hum, no idea on that one - but they shouldn't be starved anyway so who cares if they can tell!!! :lol: :lol:

When Sophie had her spay they told me to feed her normally - as like colliewoman said, buns can't be sick!

She'll be getting her greens as normal then :D I won't be able to tempt her into the carrier without food anyway! :lol:

It may well just be that they are planning on doing her first thing, in which case I think it's normal to not offer food for an hour or so (not a long period of time) before surgery even in rabbits so there is nothing in the way for intubation?

When I took Coffee yesterday they had told me to feed her as normal, and when we got there they asked what time she'd had her breakfast so they could work out what time to start the GA.

Well, she's had a small serving of greens at about 7.15 and she's not there till about 8.30. I'll have to 'fess up if they ask!! :)

Am getting nervous now....

She's gone in :cry: I managed to hold myself together but blarted as soon as I got outside :cry: Am I daft? She looked so sorry for herself in her carrier :roll:

It's for the best though - I found a nest in the carrier (which stays in her dog crate) so at least it will stop the raging hormones.

Positive vibes needed, please :)

try not to worry Kel, easier said than done I know :( is she booked in at Kirby cook and Pegg? the receptionist had to ask about the feeding with me as she had said no food from the night before but I told her she was wrong :lol: :lol: the vet confirmed that she was wrong and that I was right :wink: :lol: :lol:

Marcel De Bun was well out of it when I picked him up and despite leaving pellets and herbs with them they had not given him any (not sure if they gave him what they had in as I forgot to ask :oops: ) but all he wanted when he got home was basil and corriander so was glad I took Tracys advice about getting loads of fresh herbs in :D Marcel De Bun did'nt really bounce back until 9ish on the night, he slept like a baby for an hour in my arms at one point :love: He was up and down for hours, so it really does depend on the bun and what aneathetic (sp) they used.

Beany may be totally opposite and be bounding around straight away so try not to worry either way :) hope all goes well :)

I'm sure she'll be fine :D Herbs are a definite must - they were the first thing that both Coffee and Kahlo ate after their ops.

Girls tend to take a little longer to recover than boys, so don't panic. As long as she eats something (even tiny nibbles) overnight/following morning then that's good. She'll be quite spaced out for a while. Kahlo was quite out of it for a good 2 or 3 days, and was eating little and often. But, then one morning I got up and she'd polished off all the food and was bounding about like nothing had happened :D

Coffee was only quiet for about 18 hours - she's currently creating havoc in my bathroom and she only had the op on Wednesday and refused to take any of her meds afterwards! :roll:

Denny said:
try not to worry Kel, easier said than done I know :( is she booked in at Kirby cook and Pegg? the receptionist had to ask about the feeding with me as she had said no food from the night before but I told her she was wrong :lol: :lol: the vet confirmed that she was wrong and that I was right :wink: :lol: :lol:

Yes, it's them, although they've changed the name to Pype Hayes Vetinary Centre or something :roll: I'm glad I fed her now, although they didn't ask and I was too nervous to mention it :?

I've got some herbs in and she loves basil, so hopefully that will tempt her. Roll on 1 o'clock when I can ring....

Just phoned the vet's - she is 'absolutely fine and has come round really well' :D I can't wait to see her now!! My poorly likkle bunster....

She's home :) She looks awake enough, just quiet. I have put some yummy dandelions and basil in her crate to tempt her, so we'll have to wait and see... :?

Back