• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plants that are safe for bunnies, but repel flies?

monkeypuzzler

Mama Doe
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any plants which should help keep flies away, but which are safe for bunnies to munch on?

We're planning to move our two enclosures so they are next to each other end to end, but I want to have something in between them so that the two groups of buns don't get too miffed with each other! :lol:

We have two long oblong planters that I'm planning to use, but need ideas of what to put in them. I was thinking fly-repelling plants (if there is such a thing) would be good, but obviously I need them to be safe for the buns in case a bit pokes through.

Any ideas?

Roo

PS. In case I'm describing it really badly, this is how it will be...

*ENCLOSURE1*
*ENCLOSURE1*
*ENCLOSURE1*
*ENCLOSURE1*
*ENCLOSURE1*
*ENCLOSURE1*
*ENCLOSURE1*
PLANTS PLANTS
*ENCLOSURE2*
*ENCLOSURE2*
*ENCLOSURE2*
*ENCLOSURE2*
*ENCLOSURE2*
*ENCLOSURE2*
*ENCLOSURE2*

They can't eat it but lavender is good at repelling flies

Sorry to be annoying, can you tell me where youheard they can't eat it from, I'm still trying to collect together a list of what they can and can't eat, and I haven't heard anything saying they can't eat it?

I can't find where I read that! Grrr! The rabbitlopaedia has tonnes of can's and can'ts for flowers etc (even seaweed!) but no mention of lavender!

loopylop said:
http://www.mckellier.com/archives/images/2006/RabbitMenu.pdf

Says that lavander is safe to eat - I don't think I would feed it personally :?

Me neither. Mint i think is good for repelling flies xx

Thanks for the ideas, will definitely get some lemon balm and mint, am thinking that strong smelling plants will be good.

Would like to get a definite answer on Lavender, I'd always been under the impression it was fine? :?

harvester said:
Thanks for the ideas, will definitely get some lemon balm and mint, am thinking that strong smelling plants will be good.

Would like to get a definite answer on Lavender, I'd always been under the impression it was fine? :?
Lavender is fine :)
I have two plants outside the summerhouse,my buns are always munching on it while there out and they are fine afterwards,and smell lovely :lol:

apparently mozzies dislike peppermint and lavender in particular, though rosmary, thyme, basil and garlic would no doubt also be usefull.

Thanks everyone, I guess it makes sense that the strong smelling plants put them off most. Will post piccies once the plants are in the runs moved.

Back