• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

very nervous bunny

jay

Mama Doe
My new bunny Milly is so scared of me that the most contact I have had from her since I got her on sunday is a few nose nudges. If she sees me she legs it.

I do have some experience with nervous buns as Jack was very nervous when I first got him but nowhere near as bad as Milly is. I have managed to turn Jack into a very soppy cuddly bunny so I am going to TRY and do the same with Milly - she is sooo cute and fluffy I'd love to cuddle her!

I thought I would hand feed her most of her food to get her to associate nice food with me. I am also going to talk to her lots close up (or as close as I can get!).

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Has anyone used clicker training?

Does anything think its unwise to put Jack in another room just for dinner time? (otherwise she eats with Jack despite me holding out food to her!). Jack also has a habit of chasing her off when she ventures near me...not that it happens very often!!

Can you lie down on the floor and read a newspaper or book while she plays? I've found that's the best way for a bun to start feeling comfortable around you. You're the same height as them and you're not looking at them, so you're much less threatening. And they may get the courage to nibble your newspaper- I usually let them just so they get close to me. She might jump on top of you too- Fey and Sprite started using me as a jungle gym before I could touch them. You can also put a little food or a few toys near you so she associates you with good things.

Sometimes it takes awhile. It took me two weeks to be able to touch Fey once. She's constantly begging for petting now, but it took a really long time because she was completely unsocialized.

naturestee said:
Can you lie down on the floor and read a newspaper or book while she plays? I've found that's the best way for a bun to start feeling comfortable around you. You're the same height as them and you're not looking at them, so you're much less threatening. And they may get the courage to nibble your newspaper- I usually let them just so they get close to me. She might jump on top of you too- Fey and Sprite started using me as a jungle gym before I could touch them. You can also put a little food or a few toys near you so she associates you with good things.

Sometimes it takes awhile. It took me two weeks to be able to touch Fey once. She's constantly begging for petting now, but it took a really long time because she was completely unsocialized.

I found this works with mine.
They are really nosey & wanna see what you are up to.

I pretend to be asleep and close my eyes so they relax a bit, problem is I've fallen asleep before now and had a trim (they were fine thank god, my hair wasn't though!) Just don't pick a book or newspaper you actually like, my Xanti (giant) snatched the book off me and tore it to pieces, Jane Austen for Uni haa haa!)

I laid on the floor all sunday afternoon and all monday daytime lying on the floor. I did this with Jack it worked really well - it took him a good few hours to start to respond and creep near me. Milly however remained firmly rooted to the spot!! Poor thing is terrified.

jay said:
I laid on the floor all sunday afternoon and all monday daytime lying on the floor. I did this with Jack it worked really well - it took him a good few hours to start to respond and creep near me. Milly however remained firmly rooted to the spot!! Poor thing is terrified.

She's still new. Smirnoff took six months to come anywhere near me of his own accord. He'll never be a cuddle-bun, but he doesn't nip anymore & eats from my hand now.

& Gaz mentioned last night that I haven't been covered in scratches for months (That was Smirnoff & Chocolate)

Darcy was nervous when I first got him too. Lying on the floor reading the paper or a book is a great way to get her used to you. When she comes close to you don't reach out to her just try and leave her be so that she knows that you're not going to grab her. The fact she has nose nudged you is a good sign.

Making a fuss of your other bun in front of her will relax her to know that you don't hurt him and that he loves the attention. Maybe some time with just you and her would be good too if Jack is a bit possesive of you. x

Peter was like a wild rabbit when I first got him and I'm afriad I kinda threw him in the deep end so to speak.
Everyday I'd handle him, but I also sat with him. It did help that he moved into the house after bonding with Petta and in the front room so he edventually got used to us.
He still hates being stroked after two years, but I have cuddly Petta so I don't mind and he's ok at being held once you catch him and will tolorate a few nose rubs ^^
bribary works wonders. :D

Back