• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Deaf?

sgprescue

Mama Doe
This is something that came up on rabbit awareness day and neither me, dawn or denise could answer :? How on earth can you tell if a rabbit is deaf?

They don't react to noise :?

I have several deaf lops. I think it may be quite common among them. It's great, you can sneak up on them and catch them :lol: They can't see behind them like uppy eared rabbits either. The only trouble is they can't hear a food tub rattling. I have to make sure Clover sees that I have it when I want her to go to bed, otherwise she carries on tootling about, threatening the other rabbits with certain death should they even think about setting foot in her territory :roll:

sgprescue said:
bunnylove said:
ears dont twitch :?: :?: :?: :?

what about if its a lop though, you would never notice it anyway :lol:

never thought of that! :oops: could try russling the food bag if they dont move probably deaf or in stasis :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Albert might be deaf.

He doesn't respond to me calling him, his food plate rattling, Poppy eating or Poppy thumping. I've also made him jump a couple of times by stroking him from where he can't see me.

Occasionally he appears to hear things but his ears don't twitch (although he's a lop) to sounds, although they do still twitch. I think it might be certain frequencies that he can't hear.

My lops ears react to noise, it may not be quite as pronounced as an uppy-eared twitch but there are still definite movements, usually forward like a lop 'interest' pose usually accompanied by a turn of the head, especially if I'm rattling the food tin :lol:

My lops ears move quite alot too when they hear something. Forwards, like you say, when they are intersted, they sort of turn backwards when they have heard something I havn't. They twist upwards and lift them alot too (which is always sweet, especially when only one ear).

I had no idea Maa was deaf till I had to seperate her from the girls - Becauase she lost an eye it was easy to tell as I could approach on her blind side, calling and rattling a food dish, and she wouldn't even know I was there when I was a foot away!

And now I know what to look for I can see that Zinniea her daughter is deaf too as she doesn't come when she's called unless one of the other bunnies is next to her and hears me. It's a pain if I'm trying to get them all in, because Zinniea's head is usually down her latest tunnel, so she can't see her sisters, and by the time I've tapped her on the bum to get her attention, everyone's confused :lol:

The standard test for most animals is to wait until it's not paying attention (has it's back to you) and clap loudly. If it freezes it can hear, if it shows no reaction it's deaf :)

:lol: For dogs you can switch the clap for calling out phrases like walkies and dinner ;)

Back