• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccines, PLUS I got a major shock about my bunny!

Janna Galaxy

Young Bun
Hi everyone!

I'm loving Atlantis day by day. Atlantis was as good as gold for the injection. But there's a red mark where the injection was it's about the size of a 1pence piece. Will this mark go after a while?

But apart from that Atlantis has been hopping about my front room. :)

I must say though I got a major shock! A couple of days ago I was giving Atlantis a rub down with dry shampoo and a towel. Well, whilst I was rubbing under the tummy, I noticed something that I thought was not right. I thought that it might be that Atlantis is sitting in a funny position. So I thought, I'll ask the vet on wedensday.

So after the injection, I asked the vet to double check if Atlantis is a girl. So the vet held Atlantis with me assisting.

The vet then said....."You've got a little BOY!"

I was in total shock....don't get me wrong I'll still love him, it doesn't matter to me. It's just the pet shop told me that he is a girl. I wasn't bothered if I got a Buck or a Doe, I chose Atlantis because he was lonely. That's the only reason.

But it means I'm going to have to call PetPlan for a new policy. I've lost a daughter but gained a son comes to mind. 8)

I'm glad though I know why his urine smells so much. So he's now booked in on 2nd of June to be netuted. I just hope that he'd be alright.

Janna xxx

aww - glad you're happy with your boy :) The red mark shows that his immune system is reacting to the vaccine as it's supposed to, so he should be building up a good immunity to the real thing

made me laugh when you said he's going to be 'netuted' - denutted would be a good word for neutered :lol:

It's not something I really want to put him through but it's got way more pros than cons.

It's just I don't want to see my little baby go through an operation.

it's a much easier op for boys than girls though - most boys are fine after a few hours being pampered :)

[quote made me laugh when you said he's going to be 'netuted' - denutted would be a good word for neutered :lol:[/quote]

Since my Peanut had his opp my Mum refers to him just as "Nut" :oops:

My boys weren't at all bothered from the op of being denutted lol. They were just annoyed they couldn't go out for a run!
I've had that shock several times. I'm too trusting and if someone says it's a girl, then it's a girl! I had my Tinkerbell turn out to be a boy (now Tinker) and I had two giant does turn out to be bucks!

What a shock!!! Ah well de-nutting :lol: is simple. Jack was up and about as soon as he was home from the vets.

Back