• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!!! Poorly bun

cazza

Mama Doe
Please can someone help - tonight choco was let out and all she is doing is laying down which is not like her at all. When i lay near her i can hear rumbling/squeeking noises coming from her tummy...........put her back in her cage and tried to get her to eat something and she wont she's just laying out permanantly and making these noises. Is there something i can give her or does she need a vet - never had anything like this happen to her before.

She has only done 1 poop since 19:00 - which is not like her - could it be bloat???

caz

Does her tummy feel hard or solid? That's usually a sign of bloat.
She could just have an upset stomach and is feeling sorry for herself, I know my buns have days like that, won't move and won't eat til they feel better.
Is she drinking?

If i rem correctly, those kind of noises in the tum aren't good :(

I'm not sure though, I'm sure someone with more advice will be along soon xxx

her tummy doesnt feel any different - she doeant like her tummy touched anyway but she isnt eating - not even tempted by brocoli. i think im gonna have to ring a vet.

caz

Hiya.

Sounds like she has tummy ache.
Have you got any Infacol? It is what babies are given for colic?
If you do give her 2mls of it now then give some gentle tummy rubs.
You can give another 2mls an hour later.
If you dont have Infacol then dont panic. Bring your bun into the house. As she is poorly she wont be able to maintain her body temperature.
Next boil some water and allow it to cool.
Meantime gently massage buns tum to try to disperse any gassy build up.
Next try to syringe some of the now tepid water into her VERY SLOWLY. Then repeat the tummy rubs. If she is still in pain and there is no improvement within the next hour or so you should phone your Vet for advice.
Keeping her warm is an important 'First Aid' treatment.
Please keep us posted.

Janex

A good substitute for infacol is fruit flavour rennie rapize tablet - if you can get her to eat it that is - the infacol is easier to pop in the side of their mouth, just behind the front teeth so she doesn't choke on it.

If she's been moulting heavily, or has chewed something plastic, it could be a blockage :( I would advise against giving a gut stimulant if it might be a blockage, as this will rupture the gut - I found out the hard way with Pepsi.

If you can get some fresh pineapple into her (must be fresh not tinned) it will dissolve the slime around any blockage so water can soak into it still - it's more likely to pass through then.

sometimes they just have a narrow bit of gut and if they're moulting it causes a problem - hopefully it'll work it's way through with something to ease the gas build up, like infacol or rennies, and some pineapple.

Bobby was like this a few days ago. He wasn't eating and was looking very uncomfortable. I gave him some Infacol and massaged his tummy. Then half an hour later, he had some fresh pineapple (syringed) and I massaged his tummy again. That time I heard and felt lots of gurglings :shock: This seemed to work as he was back chomping again within an hour
Hope choco feels better soon.

hi guys thanks for all your recommendations. We didnt have any of the items in the house (ill be shopping tomorrow for infacol) and decided incase it was something serious we would take her to the vet. he didnt find anything wrong i.e. not bloat and no blockage but as it was 4 hours since she last ate and about the same since she pooped he would give her a gut stimulant type thing - cant remember the name of it. she is now in her cage with her snugglesafe keeping warm, been hand feeding her hay but shes still not interested in the carrot or excel.

thanks again - i really did panic .

caz

How's the bun today? My Teddy had an episode of gurgling tum the other week and didn't want to eat at all. I watched him for a few hours and then took him to the vet to be on the safe side. He was given a dose of metaclopromide, which certainly helped. He had a base case of wind! After a few hours he was eating again. If he gets it again, I'll try what Jane suggests first, the infacol, but I think it's always better to be safe than sorry and have a check-up at the Vet. It's really serious if their gut stops working, as everyone has said. Please let us know how bunny is today!

Hi

She seems better today - not eaten her usual amount but noticed her nibling on plenty hay. have just given her some medication the vet gave me - fibrederm or something. she is in the lounge at the mo with me having a good wash.

my mum has called her the expensive bun after the cost of the vet.

iv bought the items jane mentioned - syringe and infacol incase.

the vet was in love with her - he started giggling when he listened to her stomach - not sure why.....

thanks again

Back