• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harvey's back from being castrated!

Vicki

Alpha Buck
I picked him up at about 4:30 (he was actually operated on at about 1 and was brought round at around 2 i think). He's still wobbly and acting drunk! He seems to be shaking a bit aswell, but the nurse said this is just to do with where he's had the ansethic. He's not really eating yet either i tried to hand feed him some pellets he took one and thats it, but he seems as if he wants to take more but cant as he's still too dopey! His head between his eyes seems 'damp', i was just wondering if this could be him sweating as it is quite warm today, mixed with the ansethic maybe? The vet gave me some metacam 1.5 mg/ml to start giving him from tomorow night im to give him 0.6 ml's. They also gave me come critical care incase he doesnt start eating, i was wondering when i should start him on this incase he doesnt start eating? How long should i leave him if he doesnt eat?
He has had internal dissolving stiches and im taking him back next thursday for his check up along with his mxyi jab!
I think ive covered everything now! Sorry for the long post, but ive never been through this beofre and wondered if everything seems to be going ok!?
Thanks in advance for any replys!

Glad Harvey is home!!
It will take a good 24 hrs after the GA before he starts to eat properly. He might appreciate his water in a bowl rather than a sipper bottle. You could pick a few dandelion leaves for him and offer him some of his fave veggies.
You dont need to worry about syringe feeds unless he has not eaten by tomorrow morning. Stressing a bun out by syringe feeding too soon can be counterproductive. As long as he is indoors and in a quiet safe place with easy access to a bowl of water, some veggies and hay I would just let him sleep off the GA.
Bunnies dont sweat so the damp patch on his face may be some residue of the gel some vets put in the eyes of buns under GA to protect the eyeball as under GA the bun wont blink and often their eyes are open. So unprotected the eyeball could be irritated by dust particles etc.
I am sure after a good nights sleep Harvey will be much brighter tomorrow :D :D

Janex

Oh thanks Jane! Youve put my mind at rest now! He's still only managed one pellet! Ive left him for a while to have some peace and quiet and sleep it of, ive also blocked his downstairs compartment of aswell ill leave it like that for the next few days.
Thanks for your reply!
Vicki

I know its such a worry when we see are normally lively buns totally zonked out. But if WE had only had a GA a few hours ago we would not want to tuck in to dinner either!!
Just keep an eye on him and I am sure that during the early hours of the morning he will start nibbling at some food.
In a couple of days he'll have forgotten all about it and will be back to causing mischief again!!

Janex

Just an update to let you know, he has eaten some carrot tops and is hopping about more normlly now aswell! I do feel more at ease now hes stopped shaking and his nose has stopped twitching like mad! He also has passed some normal poops! :lol:

Glad Harvey is OK. My Peanut was done 2 weeks ago, he was off his food for a day or so but couldn't resist a few banana chips! Poppit has her opp tomorrow and then the bonding fun starts!

x

Last night he was muching away on his hay and had eaten all of his carrot tops and today he's eating pretty much the same. The only prob ive got now is getting him to take his metacam! He wont go anywhere near the syringe, so ive dribbled it onto his pellets and im now waiting or him to eat them! Last night he was also running around playing like usual and couldnt work out where his ladder has gone to get downstairs! Ive covered it over with a board and put loads of hay on top, and he kept trying to dig his way under! Then he scared me by jumping on top of his box! I was a nervous wreck last night trying to keep him from racing around and possibly damaging himself! :roll: :lol:

Vicki said:
Last night he was muching away on his hay and had eaten all of his carrot tops and today he's eating pretty much the same. The only prob ive got now is getting him to take his metacam! He wont go anywhere near the syringe, so ive dribbled it onto his pellets and im now waiting or him to eat them! Last night he was also running around playing like usual and couldnt work out where his ladder has gone to get downstairs! Ive covered it over with a board and put loads of hay on top, and he kept trying to dig his way under! Then he scared me by jumping on top of his box! I was a nervous wreck last night trying to keep him from racing around and possibly damaging himself! :roll: :lol:

Awwwww sounds like Harvey's op' was more of an ordeal for YOU than him!!
Great to hear the little man is doing well :D :D
Maybe he doesn't need his Metacam, he certainly doesn't sound to be in any discomfort.

Janex

Back