• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit making 'gobble' noise U/D BACK FROM VETS - PIC ADDED

Mart

Mama Doe
This was mentioned in a previous post on the general chat forum, but I thought we'd post here as it's more to do with us being concerned about Pasha.

This was the original post:
here

Pasha makes a very odd sound - very like a turkey gobble - or as the aove post - like a duck.

He does this when he is excited - or eating (both normally go together :))

it sounds like a combination of abdomen / chest / breathing.

It's definitely not the normal more nasal honk that a male bun would make.

It sounds more like he diaghram is 'fluttering' causing the sound to come from his chest/abdomen.

He seems perfectly healthy - we had him checked over a few weeks ago for sneezing - but that was almost certainly due to the carpet / dust - and possibly an allergy.

He certainly runs around like a lunatic, and binkies like nothing I've seen before in a bun.

Should we be concerned ?

thanks

Martin

Hiya! I'm not saying this is what it is, just my experience!!

When Santa arrived here just before Christmas, she often made little 'turkey gobbling' noises when eating. After a couple of months she developed snuffles and the noises got worse. Whenever she has a course of antibiotics, the noises completely disappear, so with her it seems as if it is related to infection, even an inactive one, if you see what I mean.

Typically, whenever I take her to the vets, she never makes the noises!! I can only imagine that this is because she is stressed so breathes very shallowly at the vets so because she's not breathing as deeply, it doesn't do it :? Santa never seems ill with it, but she does seem to lose weight quickly on occasion (apparently snuffly type things tend not to make them 'feel sick' but it can cause their metabolism to change), so I'd keep an eye on his weight and also have a good thorough check of his nose and also front paws, where they often wipe their noses without you noticing!

Thanks for the reply Alison,

It has got me worried though. Pasha has sneezed quite a lot, there has never been any discharge (that we noticed), and we had put it down to an allergy to the shavings / dust.

We had taken him to the vets to get him checked over to be on the safe side. He listended to his chest and didn't detect any problems - putting the sneezing down to Rhinitis (sp?) he went on a weeks course of Baytril - which tbh didn't help the sneezing at all.

We may have to take some rugs out of the room - as its normally after he keeps sniffing them that he sneezes. The sneezes always seem 'dry' too, no discharge, and although he does use his paws to was his face, we've never noticed anything coming form his nose.

Not sure about the 'deep' breathing. When he runs around the room - he really goes for it and he normally just throws himself over at the end of it wriggling on his back before laying down. He is normally breathing heavily by this stage due to all the running - and we haven't noticed the noise at all this time.

It is normally most pronouonced when he is eating - or sometimes when we open up his run area -which may be due to excitment.

We will definitely keep a close eye on him for snuffles and any chest problems - but other than that he seems in good health and happiness.

Thanks for the reply

Martin

does he make that kind of noise before? Or is it something new? Is he diet normal? How old is he? If his diet is normal, and this is young rabbit, he could be a "noisy" rabbit. My one is noisy too, she didn't make certain noise when I first got her, but as she settle down and get comfy in the house, she became a "vocal" rabbit.

He's young - 18-20 weeks, and he started making the noises about 5 weeks ago(ish) - well, that we noticed anyway.

He's a real bundle of energy - and it could just be his way of chuntering away to us.

As for his diet - it's predominantly Excel junior dwarf mix at the moment - with constant Hay to hand (which he is not really interested in at present).

He does drink alot though - much more than our other buns - even ones that were twice the size. (although I think that is more a case of our other buns not drinking as much as they should).

Martin

Mart said:
He's young - 18-20 weeks, and he started making the noises about 5 weeks ago(ish) - well, that we noticed anyway.

He does drink alot though - much more than our other buns - even ones that were twice the size. (although I think that is more a case of our other buns not drinking as much as they should).

then it sounds normal. They don't make noise right away. They make noise when they settle in and get comfy in the environment.

I like rabbits that drinks lots of water.

I am pretty sure this is normal. Our new male does tend to be quite vocal like this particularly if hes startled and offput, its not like something you hear all the time as if it was you might want to be concerned.
I wouldn't think its anything unsual.

bob does this regularly. it is usually when i am reaching in to his apartment to clean his poop box or when i am reaching in to feed him one way or another. i explain this as his "mom, don't touch my stuff!!" voice.
it sounds like snorting to me when he does it.

We're taking Pasha to the vets.

He's started really frequent sneezing and there is a discharge now.

We really cleaned his room out in case it was due to an allergy, but although he seemed to stop for a short while, he's started again.

Earlier today he did a couple of big sneezes and there seemed to be a couple of discharges (he licked and wipped them away before we could really see).

The 'gobbling' noises have also got louder - which makes me think it may be related to a sinus blockage of sorts.

Well - we're hoping to get to the vets at about 5.30 - I'll post an update later - especially if there is a link to the noises he has been making.

Martin

Oli makes this noise as well, mostly when he is breathing very fast, and often when I pick him up (which he doesn't like). He may have a mild form of snuffles but the vet said he was healthy last time he was checked over and he doesn't have any discharge. Good luck with your bun, b-m

thanks all,

just back.

It was a different vet - never seen him before, and not sure how bunny-savvy he is. His handling of Pasha was pretty rough, but he gave him a thorough listening too.

There is a defininite infection, and he has a raspyness in his chest. He also checked his temp.

He also has some pain in his throat, when he was feeling around there, Pasha was really reacting and struggling.

He gave him some injected steroids 0.5ml (+pain killer ? - don't remember what he said - must take something to write with next time).

He also gave us 10 days worth of baytril to give him via his water - with an instruction to come back in 5/6 days if there is no change.

Pasha was quite shaky when he got back - he doesn't like the car at all (let alone the handling), and is only settling down again now - about 40 mins after getting back.

We're worried about the throat pain - do rabbits get sore throats ?

Although it may have been a result of escapology exploits (he has got over his barrier a couple of times, no mean feat given it's height - so he may have hurt himself there - we just don't know)

Anyway - thanks for the support.

Martin

Sorry Pasha is poorly.
In my UNQUALIFIED opinion giving antibiotics in the water is not that effective as Bun seldom gets the full dose.
I would be inclined to give it as one oral dose via syringe. It is important that the full dose is given each day.
Just my 'I'm not a Vet' opinion though!!
Hope Pasha responds to the treatment.
Janex

JCO said:
Sorry Pasha is poorly.
In my UNQUALIFIED opinion giving antibiotics in the water is not that effective as Bun seldom gets the full dose.
I would be inclined to give it as one oral dose via syringe. It is important that the full dose is given each day.
Just my 'I'm not a Vet' opinion though!!
Hope Pasha responds to the treatment.
Janex

Thanks Jane

Pasha normally drinks well - and quite a bit.

Last imte we have hime baytril - we diluted it and gave it to him via about 20-30mls of water in his bowl - which he drank pretty quickly, then we just topped it up a bit - so he must have got about 90-95% of his dose.

We'll see how we go with this first dose tonight - if he doesn't drink it (its a higher dosage and more smelly / bitter) we'll resort to syringe feed.

Martin

This is a piccy of him just after we got him - aged about 11 weeks.

pasha_arms_01.jpg

We took some last week too - still on the camera, will have to download them and post a few.

Martin

hope he gets better soon, is he a netherland dawrf? looks the same as mine who just had her leg amputated, hope you get on ok

Back