• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies Burrowing - Help!!

Shellar

Warren Scout
What can I do to stop Disney burrowing. She has made 3 attemps, all last night. ! have had her for a month now and it is only last night she has done this.
We have them at the top of the garden, not a problem. Moved them to outside the backdoor whilst we we on holiday so it was easier for my brother to get them in. Roger dug out the stone boarder!
Moved them back this weekend and Disney has nearly got under the fence into the neighbours garden on 3 accounts!!
What can I do?????

RABBITS BURROW :lol: :lol:

Its natural behaviour for them :D
You need to put sturdy wire mesh over any soft ground in the run to stop burrowing under fences etc.
Providing a digging box might help distract her, although being a bunny she will probably still want to dig where she shouldn't :roll: :roll:
A totally safe bunny run has to be escapee/predator proof from ALL angles including the ground!!

Janex

Thanks Jane

The turf is newley laid, I could put some mesh underneath to stop them getting in the neighbours gardens.

If I do this will they hurt themselves or get their little feet caught up???

Shellar said:
Thanks Jane

The turf is newley laid, I could put some mesh underneath to stop them getting in the neighbours gardens.

If I do this will they hurt themselves or get their little feet caught up???

If you get the sturdy but small weave mesh it will be fine.
You just need to make sure there are no sharp bits of mesh sticking up and check it regularly. :D

Janex

If it's a girl who is unspayed, it is also what they do when it gets to this time of year, it's part of their nesting instict, build a burrow, then build a nest etc.

Ruby loves to dig. We've built the run like this

DSCN0826.jpg

with a mesh frame attached to the bottom of the run. We then put bark chippings on the top, so the bunnies can dig to their hearts content.

DSCN0587.jpg

This is after Ruby had trashed it!

That's a good idea about the wood on top so they can dig. I let mine out and point them in the direction of any ugly plants my dad has put in (obv don't let them east them) lol.

Thanks guys!!!
Will have to try a few thing out at the weekend. I like the idea of the wood chipping, will still leave some grass but not round near the edges where they can get out easier.

Will keep you posted.
x

my girls all dig like mad, at a rate of about a foot an hour! But as they are only on the grass for an hour I fill in the holes and they start all over again next day - But if yours are in a run they really need like Helen has - a wire bottom covered in bark chips, or pavers - Don't forget that if they can dig out, a dog or fox can dig in!

Back