• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE -Took Pepsi took Vet this morning...

pepsi

Alpha Buck
Hello all, i have dropped Pepsi of at the vet this morning for her spay and dental, and cried when i left her... :cry: I feel sick at the moment, I also feel a bit selfish, i cant help thinking if anything did happen, am i being selfish getting her spayed just because i want another bun, :cry:
But the reason i want another bun is for her sake, i want her to have a friend, to cuddle up with when im at work, i know there are also medical reasons for spaying, just feel abit down about it.
I know you have all prob had a million buns spayed before and the vet must have perfomed the procedure so many times...but i feel awful this morning so scared for my baby.. Im sorry to go on. I got her a vet bed yesterday and me and hubby cleared a space for her hutch last night, im also going to put a old towel in there for her to snuggle up to... :(

Awwww we all really worry when our buns have to have a GA.
But having Pepsi spayed will not only mean she can be more easily bonded with a bunny friend but that she will also be protected from Uterine Cancer. This condition is VERY common in unspayed Does over the age of 3.
My Vet has even seen Does under the age of 1 with a 'suspicious' looking uterus, discovered during a routine spay :shock: :shock:
When Pepsi comes home try not to expect too much too soon. Ask exactly what TIME she had the GA then you'll have some idea of how she is recovering.She should poop/wee/drink and eat (albeit only nibbling at tasty veg) within 24hrs.
So if she has her op' at 1100am today and you collect her at 400pm dont expect her to start munching right away.
Offer her a drink from a bowl, bunnies tend to prefer this to a sipper bottle after a GA. Place little bits of her fave veg, some dandelion leaves and hay nearby and really just let her sleep.
You only have to start thinking of syringe feeding if she still hasnt eaten by the next morning. I think we are all inclined to want our buns back to normal quickly but it does take time.
Warmth,quiet and water are the essentials in the first 12 hours. Plus tasty food should hopefully be nibbled within 24 hrs.
If Pepsi has not eaten or pooped after 24 hrs you can contact your Vet who may want to administer more pain relief and a gut motility stimulant.
Please let us know how things go :D :D

Janex

Thank you for the reassurance. When i dropped her off this morning the vet told me to call at 4.00 to see how she is, he said that if she isnt eating (which is normaly the case) she will have to stay in over night so they can keep an eye on her.
Its just so worrying, poor girlie, Thank you i do feel alot better now and cannot wait to get her a pal, I feel alot better no just that bit of reasurance i feel like i am doing the right thing, just felt awfull when i dropped her of this morning. I will put some water in a bowl for her, thank you, for some reason she prefers drinking out of a bowl any way, bless her. I have decided to put her in our bedroom so will be lovely and warm and quiet, cant wait to have her home, i do hope its tonight.

You and I are going through the same thing today - even though she's only my foster bunny and will be off to stay with Spacegirl soon, it hasn't made it any easier. I'm a nervous wreck!

Least im not the only one, :)
I think it is great that we can come on here and chat...because ive been telling other people that im worried, and keep going on but no one seems to understand..............Im sure your bun will be fine...thinking of her to xx

I have to take Holly soon, I keep putting it off. I am dreading it but I know she will be fine as will your bun.

when i took Alfie to be done he had a snotty nose and i think it was quite risky but he was fine. I cried when i dropped him off too!!!

let us know when you hear anything x

Hey, it's totally normal to feel worried when your rabbit has a GA. After all it is major surgery with a spay - but it is also a routine op that most vets have done many times. I was really worried when China went for her spay because she was the first female we had done. When Miles went for his op he recovered quickly (just sulked under the sofa for 2 hours!), whereas China just lay down in her pet carrier on her blanket and slept loads... normally she's so active! It was scary but she recovered very well and was nibbling hay and broccoli before the night was over!

I'm sure she'll be fine. I called up my vet 3 times during the day I was so worried! They understood though! :lol:

AMETHYST

I once had to have an adopted NINE YEAR OLD Bun spayed as she had pyometra (infection of the uterus). Despite her advanced years and the fact she was already very sick she got through the GA without a hitch!! She lived for almost 3 more years!! Even having to have 2 more GAs during that time to have bladder stones removed!! So GAs in Rabbits dont carry such a huge risk as they did in the old days.

Janex

wow...9 years old!!!! What a strong bun!
Thnks i do feel so much better now, i will ring them at 4.00, and i will let u all know, i hope so much that i can take her home with me!!!

I've just called the vet and they said she is fine, but because her teeth have also been done at the same time they do want to keep her in over night to make sure she is eating ok.......... :cry: Arr my baby :(

At least she's ok and you don't have to worry about her as she's in the best place at the moment, in case she does decide not to eat! You did the best thing for her.
I get nervous when I take my buns for their jabs! It's awful!

Yer i know...it does make sense, thank you....just want to give her a big kiss.............So glad she's okay. Also i work during the day 9-5 so at least she will have people with her at the vets tomorrow. Also i can set up her hutch tonight, have more time to make it really nice.... poor baby.... :(
But i cant help thinking that sometimes they dont like to eat because new suroundings make them uneasy.......i know when i took my cat in they said she might have to stay in 2 nights after her op because she wasnt eating, but i went to visit her and as soon as she saw my she ate a whole bowl!!!! I think she must of over heard them :lol: :lol:

Back