• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sensitive subject - When your bunny goes to the bridge...

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
I know that this is a sensitive subject, which is why I placed a warning in the title. I appreciate that many members would find it difficult to participate in this conversation, but it is a genuine question, and not meant to cause offence.

I'm a realist (or pessimist anyway!? :lol: ) and know that at some point my bunnies wont be with me anymore. I often wonder (even more so when my lil' man is undergoing yet more GA's) what I want to do with my beloved fluffies when they do pass to the bridge.

I know a lot of vets offer cremation services, but how do these work exactly?

I think I've decided that I don't want to bury them, as my garden is chock a block full of hamsters / gerbils etc from the last 10 years :oops: :(

Also, I know that I will be moving out within the next few years, and that when me and my sister are gone, my parents will be selling up and moving to the house in Spain permenantly.

I love the thought of burying them in a sunshine spot, but think I would be happier knowing that they can come with me when I leave home :? .

I think I've already decided that a small memorial rockery or flower bed would be more fitting.

Has anyone had their bun(s) cremated? It would be nice if I could get a small personalised "bunny" urn made, but from what I've read, you don't get a tremendous choice with them.

My Aunty has all of her dogs ashes in small urns in her house so that she can feel close to them, and both my sister and I are under strict instuctions that if anything happens to her, these urns are to go into her casket with her. I think I quite like that idea, but that a lot of urns remind me too much of urns, if that makes sense :oops: I think I would prefer something a little more decorative with bunnies on it or something.

I don't know if any of you have gone through anything like this, and would be interested to know what kind of options there are.

Again, apologies if this is an upsetting subject, but we all know that we will meet up with our bridge bunnies again soon enough, and I would love to know I was doing the best for my buns spirit until I do see them again :)

there is a pet crematorium near me, dont know if they do bunnies though :?:

I think you have to do what you feel is right at the time......although an aunt of mine had her cat stuffed and it was really creepy.. I hated going to visit, she would put a saucer of cream and a piece of mackeral out for the cat every day...she was a little eccentric :roll:

tupperwarequeen said:
an aunt of mine had her cat stuffed and it was really creepy.. I hated going to visit, she would put a saucer of cream and a piece of mackeral out for the cat every day...she was a little eccentric :roll:

:shock: I don't think I could get them stuffed. ALthough I can understand why people perhaps want to. It'd be Travis' silky ears that I'd miss the most! And Tre's snuggly nose! I just wondered how common it was. We burried our cat, but I was only 12 at the time, so I guess I didn't really ask too many questions.

my house is like a crypt,ashes everywhere due to my penchant for taking old knackered things! in the living room i have
drexl cat killed in rta
pepsi-one of my childhood buns
o.b,short for old b*****d cos exactly wot he was but brill with it,well he was a gsd!
rocky-another rescue gsd oldie
ria toby and lucky 2gsd's and a cat all in scatter boxes but placed together in a maple casket made by my dad as they all lived together and in their with their final collars,leads and ball/fave toy,well couldn't get ria's traffic cone in so had to have something else!!
bodie-the english lop we only had for 5days

no doubt they;ll be many more but i said that when my time comes i'd like my ashes scattered with all my animals ashes up at box hill in surrey as the dogs used to love it there but way things are going ande the collection i'll have amassed whoever gets the task may get done for polluting the environment :lol: london under a huge smog like cloud!!

always use surrey pet cemetery in godstone,surrey,lovely people totally trustworthy willing to help nothing too much trouble. we use these for work
also and while some people are rightly concerned that it won't be their pets ashes being returned i can always assure clients this isn't a concern as i wouldn't use them otherwise.

most of my ashes are in wooden caskets with a name plaque on,although you can get a sleeping cat which i've lined up for the next moggy to go,not being morbid but he is on borrowed time already. scatter boxes or square caskets seem to be the norm but sure you can get other things or even supply your own container,if suitable this shouldn't be a prob i wouldn't have thought.

i think in your area it'd prob be the domain of cpc,cambridge pet cemetery ,quite a big company so reputable.

hope this helps

claire

jrn1310 said:
http://www.dignitypetcrem.co.uk/home.html I know a few people who have used this company for having their pet rabbit cremated. They are meant to be very helpful.

Janice

I came accross this one earlier. :D They look v nice - but it was the bits on their site saying what some crems do that got me wondering and concerned! :?

tupperwarequeen said:
this is the one near me..just had to google it once I got thinking about it

http://www.pet-cremation.co.uk/index.html

That looks pretty, I like these lil' things, they'd look nice as bunnies rather than dogs!

36138686.jpg

[/quote]

i got my last two rabbits cremated and I have their caskets right by my bed so they are always near me . This was arranged through my vets and the caskets are lovely . It cost about 90.00 in total for each of them .

I'd have mine cremated and bury the ashes in the garden. I don't like the thought of keeping the ashes in the house, feels a bit creepy to me :?

jrn1310 said:
http://www.dignitypetcrem.co.uk/home.html I know a few people who have used this company for having their pet rabbit cremated. They are meant to be very helpful.

Janice

When two of my very first Buns died I had them cremated by Dignity.
They were lovely people and were very compasionate.
Each Bun had an individual cremation (as opposed to the standard one where lots of pets are cremated together). The Buns ashes were returned to me in a little oak casket with a brass plaque on. You can have whatever you like engraved on it.
A certificate of guarantee that the ashes are those of your pet and the day/ time of cremation is given along with a red rose.
It was about 2 years ago that I last used them and it cost about £70.
Hence I cannot afford to do it for all my Buns that pass to The Bridge.

Janex

I had william cremated through the vets,i guess i felt at the time i wasnt ready to loose him and getting his ashes ment he was still close by
he is in a little casket with flowers on it,he is still in my lounge,ive never thought of scattering his ashes
All my other pets piggies/ gerbils
are buried in my mums garden because other little family members are there i wanted them all together
ive told my mum she cant ever move!

Mine are buried in the garden, and each has their own rose planted on the site. This way if we ever move, the rose bushes come with me. Flopsy came with me this way. I try to buy a rose that reflects the bunny, hence Nougat and Flopsy's are white, and Patchy has a peachy colour flower. I still get to talk to them whilst I'm out in the garden then.

I know it's not a rabbit but a few months ago a friend of mine lost her horse to cancer. :( She had him cremated and scattered his ashes on a beach where they spend their whole summer riding. I thought that was really sweet. It would be nice to do something like that but I'd want to burry my bunnies. Even if I moved house I'd know that they were burried where they had always been happy (in the garden).

My Bilbo is burried in the garden with his own rockery, flowers and a little stone bunny standing over his grave. I always like to have beautiful colourful flowers in " Bilbo's garden," and will get a stone rockery rock carved with the words " bilbo's garden," and a little bunny engraved into the rock. gosh I miss him so much! :cry:

I have mine cremated and the ashes returned in a china urn. I then take them out of the urn and put them inside a cuddly toy bunny and then they are on my bed. I have also got a hardy standard fuchsia I have put in a pot with a cross and an engraving on, which was also made by the cremation company .

Anonymous said:
I have mine cremated and the ashes returned in a china urn. I then take them out of the urn and put them inside a cuddly toy bunny and then they are on my bed. I have also got a hardy standard fuchsia I have put in a pot with a cross and an engraving on, which was also made by the cremation company .

Oops sorry that was me, didn't realise you could post without being logged in :oops:

Ooooh crumbs! How bizarre....why would someone want to post anonymously????? :shock:

Anyway, I have had my dearly-departed cremated, cannot countenance the thought of them being stuck in a hole in the ground.....I have a little box of ashes for each of them, Charlie first, then Harriet and little Sebastian the Dutch and what I am hoping to do is the same as some of the rest of you and have those little boxes accompany me on my final journey! :D We will all be together again. :D

I think everyone has different thought on this, with Fern the vet came to my house to put her to sleep. I made him promise not to put her in a plastic bag, he left hugging her like a baby wrapped up in a towel. He very gently laid her on the passenger seat of his car and took her away. I didn't know what to do with her so I had her cremated individually - and collected her ashes in a plain box ready for sprinkling or burying.

Its over a year ago and they're still upstairs on the bookcase - I fully intend to scatter them somewhere pretty where bunnies run, so am intending to go to the south downs this summer with my o/h, and Ferns two godfathers (my two best friends). We intend to have a picnic and a couple of bottles of champagne to celebrate her life and how much we all loved her. :D

I'd definitely want my bunnies cremated. Then I'd hold a little memorial service for them, playing a song that's appropriate for that particular rabbit and their character. Not sure what I'd do with the ashes - a part of me would want to scatter them to finalise it, but another part would want to hold onto them and keep them with me always. :?

AMETHYST

Back