• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I don't know what to do

I had put Trinny in with the others, they were tolerating each other, but seemed to be ok, an occasional tussle, but really nothing much. When I was at work Rob said he had to seperate Trinny, cos Daisy (he thinks) had bitten her a lot, loads of times on the back, and on her nose, making her nose bleed.

She has been in a seperate hutch but still in the shed with them for 2 days now (obviously had her time out in the run, but on her own, not with the others). So, do I admit defeat, or try again? Daisy was the reason we had to bring Maisie in from the group, as she wouldnt stop attacking her, I am worried that she will do the same to Trinny. I don't want Trin to be upset or hurt, but I would love her to be in the group, she did seem happy the other day, not sure, any advice gratefully recieved :roll:

Oh poop!!

Afraid I work on the principle of if a bunny bonding attempt results in blood loss I dont try the two fighters together again. I am just not that confident and maybe give up too soon :oops: :oops: But on the other hand I have seen some really nasty injuries from bonding attempts that have gone wrong.
I am sure you'll get much more knowledgable advice than me.
I would rather have uninjured singleton bunnies than a pair/group with bits missing!! :shock: :roll:

Janex

JCO said:
Oh poop!!

Janex

that's pretty much what I thought :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was happy while they were just ignoring each other, and Bunny has been seen grooming Trinny, so there was something going on positive, but we think that Daisy is objecting to another bun on her patch :? The trouble is that the group of 3 are very happy together, so on one hand I don't want to upset things there...but I also want Trin to be happy :?

How about taking the feisty Daisy out of the group for an hour or so and see what happens between Trinny and the other two :? :?
If all goes well is there anywhere totally neutral to all of them you could move them to and re-introduce Daisy LAST in the neutral territory :?
Just thinking aloud really :? I am not sure if removing Daisy then re-introducing her would just make her more likely to try to assert her dominance :? :?
Crikey, we need a Bunny Behavioural Psychologist!!
Hopefully a bunny bonding expert will be along soon.
My panic threshold is way too low :oops: :roll: :roll:

Janex

JCO said:
How about taking the feisty Daisy out of the group for an hour or so and see what happens between Trinny and the other two :? :?
If all goes well is there anywhere totally neutral to all of them you could move them to and re-introduce Daisy LAST in the neutral territory :?
Just thinking aloud really :? I am not sure if removing Daisy then re-introducing her would just make her more likely to try to assert her dominance :? :?
Crikey, we need a Bunny Behavioural Psychologist!!
Hopefully a bunny bonding expert will be along soon.
My panic threshold is way too low :oops: :roll: :roll:

Janex

great minds Jane...I just been out and tried that, in this case then Flossie decided to assert herself :shock: Poor Trin is now in her own run looking very fed up :cry:

I think I will keep Trin on her own for now, and consider getting her a man of her own (now theres a good excuse for getting another bunny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

when you bond a new rabbit in (says I, bonding wimp of the century) you must always do it on neutral territory - Putting Trinny into their shed and run, before they have accepted her is bound to result in a fight, especially with Daisy being a dominant rabbit.

Usually if there's been bloodshed you shouldn't bond the rabbits concerned, and a pair of rabbits is much easier to bond than a group, as I found when I got the 5 girls for Benny :roll: nightmare...

However, if you really want to bond Trinny to the group, you could try the advice given to me by Phill - which I ignored, as I took someone else's advice at the time, and have now lost my nerve :?

Phill said to bond Benny to each member of the group seperately, starting with the dominant rabbit causing most trouble. That would be Daisy with your group - Neutral territory like your bathroom is essential, and I wouldn't let Daisy loose with Trinny since she's likely to go straight for her now she's 'trained' herself to attack Trinny.

Naturstee had a good method which I wish I could try - you can as you need 2 people :) One holds Daisy, one holds Trinny, up against your chest firmly - and then stand facing each other - slowly move forward until Daisy starts trying to go for Trinny (bit like pistols at dawn but with rabbits) then back off and let them both have a break. Eventually naturstee got her 2 bunnies nose to nose without one going into attack mode - just backed off every time one did get aggressive meanwhile - took ages, but bonding usually does.

If you ever get to the stage where they are nose to nose being held, and Daisy doesn't try to attack, then you can try bonding on neutral territory in the normal way - but I wouldn't risk it if she stays aggressive as it's not fair on Trinny - the injuries could kill her.

So long as Daisy's only away from the group for 20 mins at a time, it shouldn't matter to the bond of the group.

Or you could do what you said, and use it as an excuse to get Trinny a husband :lol: Hope she recovers from her injuries quickly - they may develop abscesses so try to keep them open and bathed daily if there's any pus, till they heal, rather than letting them heal over, trapping the pus inside.

I had a traumatic time last weekend when I tried to bond my two mini-lops. Teddy has been neutered so the idea was to bond Poppy and Teddy. On the advice of the breeder, I let them out next to each other in separate runs for a couple of weeks and then took them on a car journey in separate carriers, etc. I then tried to let them have a meeting in neutral territory and my husband and myself were standing over them to separate them immediately if necessary. As soon as we put them down together, Teddy went for Poppy. We tried to pick him up immediately, but he had his teeth locked in to her. Poor Poppy squealed. We managed to separate them and, although there wasn't any blood, we did find a bite on Poppy's rump. I took her to the Vet and luckily she didn't need stitches, but he did give her a Baytril injection and a course of Baytril antibiotics. She did lose her appetite on the Baytril, as you may have seen from my posts before, but thankfully she is now back on her SS!! (Big relief!) Anyway, I will not be trying to bond them again, but they live in neighbouring hutches and will have their separate runs in the garden. I think this is the safest way forward. From what others have said, once one rabbit has attacked the other, you should not attempt to put them together again.

elve said:
when you bond a new rabbit in (says I, bonding wimp of the century) you must always do it on neutral territory - Putting Trinny into their shed and run, before they have accepted her is bound to result in a fight, especially with Daisy being a dominant rabbit.

Trinny has been living in the shed and sharing the run since she came, I was using the method of letting them get used to each other slowly...it worked last time, but obviously not this :? and the run is on the grass, so was on 'fresh turf' if you see what I mean

Phill said to bond Benny to each member of the group seperately, starting with the dominant rabbit causing most trouble. That would be Daisy with your group - Neutral territory like your bathroom is essential, and I wouldn't let Daisy loose with Trinny since she's likely to go straight for her now she's 'trained' herself to attack Trinny.

thats an idea...I may try it, if feeling brave :roll:

Hope she recovers from her injuries quickly - they may develop abscesses so try to keep them open and bathed daily if there's any pus, till they heal, rather than letting them heal over, trapping the pus inside.

I have thoroughly checked her, there are no wounds as such on her body, just lots of pulled fur, the only bleeding was from her nose, which I bathed and seems ok, but as its on her face its easy enough to check :wink:

minilops said:
From what others have said, once one rabbit has attacked the other, you should not attempt to put them together again.

when they were first together Daisy and Flossie fought like cat and dog..but it soon settled down...(I never left them unsupervised) I was sort of hoping that things would settle down with the group, as they did seem ok together for 3 days and nights :?

Women :roll:
Or should I say DOES!! :lol: :lol:

Good Luck if you do decide to try again Sally.
Have the Diazepam at the ready......FOR YOU!! :lol: :lol:

Janex

Back