• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

kits opening their eyes?

JGT

Young Bun
Hi!

Our 6 dutch kits are now 12d today and only one has opened its eyes. When does this normally happen to your kits? (Have read it should happen at 10-11 d on various websites) If they dont open them, how long should we wait until we intervene? The nest look very clean.

It can take up to 14 days for them to fully open, after this you need to open them for them, very gently with cool boiled water and cotton wool. If you don't they will go blind.

I would say 10 days is the norm its not wise to leave them if there not open as its very easy for them to develope eye infections behind closed lids. As mentioned bath them in warm water to open them. val

thank you for your help, still was only one that had opened its eyes so we gently opened the others - it opened fairly easily and all the eyes look good.

whilst we were doing it the mum came along to have a look and the babies just sucked to her so she had no choice but feeding them again!

We got really luck and here are a couple of pictures of her feeding them

Chester_zoo0002.jpg

Chester_zoo0001.jpg

And one of daddy bunny AKA freddy fangs

Chester_zoo0007.jpg

I hadnt noticed that but that is a trait of his dad (freddy fangs). he does that when you pick him up!!!!

I just hope he doesnt have any of his dads less desirable traits! I dont think the lady bunnies could cope with 2 freddies

It;s impressive you got a photo of her feeding, my doe stops the second she sees the camera and looks at me huffily! Bless, that's such a sweet picture, good luck with them.

Back