• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding boys

C

cinnabun

I have two neutered boy bunnies. They are aged 1 and 2 years. As I have limited space and desperately want them to be friends I have been trying to bond them for several months. I am aware that some people think that bonding two males is virtually impossible but as I am totally unwilling to part with either of them (they're my babies!) I have been attempting to do it.
I have had reasonable success when both bunnies are in neutral territory, I have seen them groom each other and they lie together but there has been no mounting, I understand that this is an integral part of the bonding process. However, the moment that I move them to either bunny's territory, they fight.
Am I wasting my time? Should I give up and resign myself to the fact of two solitary rabbits? Does anyone have any tips that they think would help?
:?

what's the longest time they've been together on neutral territory?

I think the fact they don't mount is great - nobody is being dominant.

Bonding boys is not impossible, it's just there are more likely to be dominance issues.
All the signs are promising, but you shouldn't move them to either's territory, you have to make their spaces neutral by giving the hutch/run etc you intend to use a good scrub with something that will take the smell away, then try again.
Good luck x

No mounting is great! You do need to make their new home neutral as well. You can do that by either doing a massive cleaning (which takes a long time but is very inexpensive) or purchasing a new hutch and run. If you have indoor buns, then just offer them a room to share that neither of them are usually in.

thanks

Many thanks for everyone's advice.

The fact that they weren't mounting each other was really worrying me, I thought it meant that they weren't interested in each other but now I can relax.

The longest they've been together on neutral territory is about 2 or 3 hours, longer is hard for me to arrange because I have to use a friend's house. As they are house bunnies and I try to give them as much space as possible, they've claimed all the rooms in my flat between them!

I will give the place a thorough cleaning to make it neutral and try again at the weekend.

Thanks again :)

I have 2 bonded boys (living with 2 sisters in a foursome). It took months, of neutral territory, & cages next to each other. Good Luck!!

as you don't have any neutral territory in your house, and ideally they need to be left together (assuming they're not fighting bad) overnight, maybe you could redecorate your bathroom? New vinyl flooring or bare boards, and fresh paint smell will probably throw them from realising it's familiar ground.

Hi there,

I have 2 pairs of bonded boys!

They get along brilliantly, and always have done.

Personally, I think you can always tell with their personalities, whether they are going to be friends or not.

In my first pairing of Charlie & Dillan, Charlie is a real cheeky chappie, who tends to lead, and his best mate Dillan, is extremely docile and loves to follow.

In my second pairing of Tigger & Nico, Nico is the strong little character with plenty of personality and Tigger, his best buddy, again is docile and a big softy!

Hope this helps.

Carol xxx

An exhausting day.

Hi everyone,

Here is an update about my disasterous attempt at bonding my rabbits.

I spent all of Friday in my bathroom in preparation.

I took up the lino from the floor, scrubbed everything first with bathroom cleaner and then with a solution of biological washing powder. It took me hours! I left it to air over night and then on Saturday morning I prepared to spend another entire day in the bathroom.

Everything was going fine at first. For the first hour or so they lay together, groomed each other, nibbled some parsley together, it was so sweet.

But then the trouble started. One bunny (Louis) was following the other(Mo) all around the floor. Mo kept sticking his head under Louis's chin but Louis just ignored him. I noticed that Louis was making soft grunting noises and then he mounted Mo!

Mo didn't like it at all he swung round, tail up, and tried to bite him. I intervened straight away because I didn't want them to hurt each other.

I know I panicked completely. I separated them whilst I very shakily went to make a cup of coffee.

About half an hour later, I put them together again but the exact same thing happened. Again I separated them.

I began to wonder if I had not cleaned the bathroom properly, if it still smelled like home territory to them so I called my friend. She said it was fine to come over so off we went.

We put the bunnies in the kitchen and sat at the table to watch. Things were ok at first but then Louis mounted Mo again. Mo would not tolerate it.

This time Mo managed to pull a mouthful of fur out of Louis's back before I could get to them. We went home in despair.

It sounds ridiculous but I daren't put them together again.

I am so disappointed :cry: .

From my (limited!) experience, I know that you do have to steel your nerves and allow a certain ammount of scrapping. If they are really going for each other then that's different, but I think that a bit of nipping, certainlt some mounting, and even a bit of fur pulling are all quite normal. It may be that you just have to let them have a bit of a disagreement so that they can work out who is boss.

yes I know it looks scary - but like spacegirl says, fur pulling, mounting and nipping are normal - They have to sort out who is going to be the boss rabbit. Serious fighting is more rolling around on the floor on their sides, back legs gouging out each others stomachs or teeth firmly latched on, especially bad if they go for the groin area.

Now the question is, do you want to risk a serious fight? cos you have to get past the normal fur pulling skirmish first :? Also, don't seperate them with your hands or you may get bitten - you need garden gloves and a long handled broom, and a plant spray bottle with water in.

When one shoves his head under the others face, it means he's demanding to be groomed, as he thinks he's top bunny - If the other refuses and mounts him, that's like saying 'in your dreams pal - I'M top bunny!' :roll: If neither backs down then you will have a serious fight on your hands, so do be cautious, but don't seperate them just because of a bit of fur pulling.

Having said all that - I don't bond because I'm too afraid - Having seen Benny whirling around in a cloud of fur with the girls, it's put me off totally - After all they all seem happy enough as single bunnies, so although I know they may be happIER as a pair, I think 'happy enough' is good enough - I can't afford the vet bills :?

it's up to you really so don't feel pressured about it - at least you got your bathroom cleaned :)

Back