• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive water drinking- link to abcess?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Hi Guys
My outside bunnies seem to be drinking a lot of water- about 2-3 bowls a day (about 900mls total) and I think it might be Silent Bob, who had the facial abcess. (Bob is a mini lop, Esmerelda a lionhead).

I did a search on excessive water drinking and it does seem that its probably ok, but I just wondered if this could in anyway linked to his abcess?

I'm not too worried as he has a vets appointment on Wednesday anyway, but just wondered about this really as he's still a poorly boy and I'm always looking out for signs that he's getting worse (having posted that his abcess wasn't pussing anymore, it does now seem as though it is.)

thank you

Hiya.
Normal water intake for a bun is 50-100ml/kg/24hrs.
Buns who have a lot of fresh veg etc drink less as they get some fluid from the Veg.
What meds is your Bun on for the abscess? This could effect the amont of water he drinks.
Have you noticed a lot more wee that could be from Bob?
If so have you noticed if it is very clear/colourless?
Has Bob lost weight?
I would mention the increase in water consumption to your Vet and he/she will be able to advise you as to the significance, if there is any.

Janex

Thanks for your reply Jane.

So their water intake does seem a bit excessive then. :? They get fresh veg twice a day, so i don't think its that. I only noticed how much water they seem to get through as Hann hardly drinks any.

Bob was on baytril for 4 weeks, but has finished that now. I haven't noticed his wee and he seems to have put on weight, which i'm really pleased about as he was so skinny when i got him because of his abcess.

I think perhaps i'm a bit paranoid about him as he is so sickly (as i've posted before he also has malclussion).
One week after i got him i noticed his abcess wound had come open slightly so i rushed him to my vets (rescues vet is 15 miles and i don't have a car) and the vet who saw him reccomended he be put to sleep as she said he was never going to get better, was in pain and had lost far too much weight. She said he should go back to the rescue and let them deal with him and take him to their vet's.

Anyway...long story short, he saw the rescue's vet that evening, who said the complete opposite- yes he was ill, but not in pain and would get better.
His appointment wednesday will be his 5th since i've had him and i just worry about him. But overall he seems happy and is always munching away on the veggies and ss he is given! :)

Thanks again for your reply, I will mention it to the vet on Wednesday.
Sorry for the long post! :oops:
x

my 4 girls drink at least 3 bowls of water every 24hrs - They were drinking more last month and I had to give them 3 bowls, whereas we've gone back to 2 bowls again now - I need to refill them twice a day usually - drained to the bottom! I think they drink when bored as well as thirsty?

My bunnies seem to have been drinking much more over the past couple of weeks, probably about 900ml a day between the 2 of them. At first I thought something might be wrong with one or both of them, but they seem fine, so I've bought a 3rd water bottle (one for giant bunnies which they seem to like cos it lets water out more quickly) to make sure they won't run out in either the hutch or run.

If that's what they normally drink, it's not a problem but if it has only happened recently it's worth looking into. It can also be a sign of diabetes (though this is very rare in rabbits) if he is eating normally but still losing weight it could be diabetes.

If bunny is peeing more than usual and seems lethargic it could be a kidney problem.

But don't panic, keep an eye on him and maybe a trip to the vet to put your mind at rest.

Thanks for your replies everyone. :)

I hope its not because they are bored- they live in a playhouse with a catflap to the outside run, boxes and tubes to play in, treat ball, platform with stairs.

Perhaps it may also be due to changing from a mix to science selective?

Either way I'll mention it to the vet on Wednesday.

Thanks again x

mine eat science selective, so maybe? The other thing is that bunnies copy each other too - if one is drinking, my other girls will all rush over and want to drink too - and drinking is a habit as well, not always a symptom of something sinister - I noticed my girls were on their '3 bowl habit' when they were having phantom pregnancies one after the other, and I put it down to that as they drink more before giving birth I believe?

elve said:
The other thing is that bunnies copy each other too - if one is drinking, my other girls will all rush over and want to drink too

:lol: Mine do that too. If one is drinking the other one will sneak up beside them and start nudging the other one out the way. Even where they have 2 water bottles side by side they still want to drink from the one already in use. :roll:

Back