• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VERY sore hocks-advice please

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
we were just cleaning out Gabriels crate and came across quite a bit of blood :( after a frantic check of his whole body i finally found that the blood had came from a scab on one of his hocks :( i feel incredibly guilty that i havnt noticed this sooner-how long does this type of thing take to develop? i checked his other foot and it looks quite sore and red but not bleeding.

can some please give me some advice on what to do for this? at the moment he is bedded on newspaper-would it be better to bed him on vetbed? if so, does anyone know if argos still sell it? ive searched the site a few times and cant find it on there :?

is there anything else i can do for him? any cream i can put on it? i have some hypercal cream-would that be any good?

Hiya.
He will need to be bedded on Vetbed or soft towels.
It is very important the broken skin on his hocks remains clean.
I personally like any Bun I have with sore hocks that have broken down and bled to have a course of antibiotics and some anti-inflammatories (it is a painful condition). If infection gets into the hock it can cause serious problems,especially to the tendon.
You can use sudocrem on the hocks. Haemorrhoid Cream (NOT one with hydrocortisone in it) is also good as it is antibacterial with local anaesthetic.
If your Bun is a bit podgey losing weight would help too. Unfortunately Sore Hocks are a difficult problem to cure and often it is a lifelong condition that needs ongoing management.
Not sure if you can get Vetbed from Argos. I am sure someone else will know!! :D

Janex

Ebay is the place to get vetbed IMO. ata-fur is very good.

I have heard that the new-skin spray on stuff is good for sore hocks. It is very important that they don't get infected as the tendon is only just under the skin there and damage to it can cause severe pain and mobility problems.

Small scabs on their hocks are quite common, and not much of a problem, they just need monitoring to make sure they don't get bigger or infected. Obviously now this one is open you need to treat it carefully and change the bedding type to try and alleviate it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

doorkeeper said:
I have heard that the new-skin spray on stuff is good for sore hocks. It is very important that they don't get infected as the tendon is only just under the skin there and damage to it can cause severe pain and mobility problems.

what do you mean by this? sorry if im being dumb-do you mean the Haemorrhoid spray on stuff?

i do actually have some baytril that i could start giving him-anyone know what the dose would be for a small lionhead? i also have some metacam-would this be ok to give him too? Gabriel is only about 10 months old :( and if anything he is probably slightly under weight-he was a very skinny bunny when i got him and although hes put weight on he has remained very slender.

Baytril and Metacam are prescription Meds so you should really consult a Vet before administering them to a rabbit for whom they were not prescribed.
Also, the Baytril may not be usable if it is the oral one and you have had it for more than 30 days. Injectable is OK for much longer provided it is kept refrigerated.
The spray on Newskin is not suitable to use on broken/bleeding skin as it may seel in infection.
Regular bathing with a mild saline solution and the application of sudocrem/haemorrhoid cream is better until the open skin has healed.

Janex

Claude one of my rexes has really bad sore hocks,so he is bedded on blankets and vet bed
I cant put him on concreate as they start bleeding straight away
I usually just leave them to dry up as putting anything on them softens the skin when really it needs to harden up

thanks for the replies.

JCO-ive only had the baytril for a few days, so its fine. would it not be better to start Gabriel on the baytril now? the earliest im going to be able to get him to the vets will be Tuesday :? again, the same with the metacam-i have a full bottle here that my vet gave me as she said it will always be handy(she knows how many animals i have) so would it not be better to atleast start him on it?

i will try and pick him up some haemorrhoid cream ASAP too. i have been checking his bedding throughout the day and havnt noticed anymore blood which i guess is good. and will get him some vetbed ASAP.

thanks again guys.

Ryo_the_rat said:
thanks for the replies.

JCO-ive only had the baytril for a few days, so its fine. would it not be better to start Gabriel on the baytril now? the earliest im going to be able to get him to the vets will be Tuesday :? again, the same with the metacam-i have a full bottle here that my vet gave me as she said it will always be handy(she knows how many animals i have) so would it not be better to atleast start him on it?

i will try and pick him up some haemorrhoid cream ASAP too. i have been checking his bedding throughout the day and havnt noticed anymore blood which i guess is good. and will get him some vetbed ASAP.

thanks again guys.

Well I know what I would do if I had all the meds and was certain they were OK to use :wink:

Of course I am NOT A VET SO CANNOT TELL YOU TO ADMINISTER THEM. IT HAS TO BE YOUR DECISION.

For information the dosage for ORAL Baytril is 5-10mg/kg TWICE a day.
The dosage for ORAL Metacam is 0.1-0.2mg/kg ONCE a day
Ref: Textbook of Rabbit Medicine by Frances Harcourt-Brown.

Janex

Back