• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sick 4 week old bunny!!!

Thumper<3

New Kit
hello, im new here. I got a bunny that is around 4 weeks of age.. She is on a diet of alfaalfa hay, pellets, and water. Earlier this morning she has been making bowl movements of clustered poop. She is NOT eating these and hasent made any normal bowl movements since. I have been nursing her with rabbit formula.. only once a day and only a tiny bit. Im taking her to the vet hopefully in a few days. Should i stop nursing her the formula? What do you recomend i should do until she sees the vets? Should i feed her anything that could possibly help? Any suggestions why she is making these bowl movements? Her pee is also a thick pasty yellowish color.. im not to sure if this is normal or not? please help
-thanks

4 weeks old is VERY young! Where did you get her from? I'm afraid I can't offer much advice escept that clumps of poo sounds like an upset stomach. I would get her to a vet sooner ratheer than later to see if she is healthy.

Sorry I can't offer any advice I'm afraid.... but I would have thought that if the bun is that poorly they should see a vet sooner rather than later.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply to you soon

i got her from my work, i wanted an adult rabbit but they gave me her instead.. also, she does have a nice big belly on her, and before today she has been making "regular" bowl movements of different sizes.. she gets unlimited pellets and hay.. do you kno why her poop was different sizes?
-thanks

Just feed hay and water, not sure about formula, and really waiting for a few days to see the vet isn't an option, thats just too long, could you get one for this evening?

You say you got her from work - do you work at a pet shop? They should know that 4 weeks is waaaay too young to be weaned from Mum :shock:

I hope you can get her to a vet asap :)

im not to sure, im going to call and make an appointment and keep a close eye on her, if anything more serious happens.. then ill have to take her to an emergency vet.

If this rabbit really is 4 weeks old then he/she should still be with her mother and litter mates.
If you do not get her to a vet TODAY she may well die.
Sorry to be blunt but if the facts you have posted are correct the bunny needs professional treatment NOW.

Janex

Thumper<3 said:
im not to sure, im going to call and make an appointment and keep a close eye on her, if anything more serious happens.. then ill have to take her to an emergency vet.

not trying to startle you but elle my bunny just assed away, they said its from a twisted gut...her tummy was rock hard and big...and funny poo...please take her the vet...

okay well i called around and all the vets are closed, i got ahold of one tho and they didnt kno like anything about rabbits. When i told the lady my situation she laughed at me :x she did say tho, that the vet would look at her but that would cost 60 bucks plus 20 bucks for a fecal sample.. they just want the money from me, im not going to take her to them if they dont got a clue about rabbits.. i talked to her like i told her the whole story and shes like,, "oh well i really dont kno what to say.. if it doesnt clear up in a few days then u can schedule an appointement" ermm .. im verry annoyed right now i dont care about the cost i just wish vets would actually care i want the best care i can give her, and i dont got much time so im going to see if i can go into emergency tonite with her :( oh by the way i got her from a petting zoo. she mite be around 4 1/2 - 5 weeks by now but im not so sure

yeah i agree with jane....way too young to be away from mummy bunny, but seriously ellie had the symptoms you described, and passed away.....what breed is he?
make sure he got lots of water....so does not get dehydrated..good luck, sending lots of vibes xxxx

my rabbit? im not sure what breed she is... just a "normal" one... i guess, all i kno is that the adult rabbits (which were most likely her parents) were big short haired rabbits.

Are you in the UK or overseas? Maybe someone could help locate a good rabbit vet local to you.

Edited to say.. Stupid Sue.. should have read the posts better :oops: I tke it you are USA seeing as though you're talking 'bucks' :?

aww...well just make sure she has water, and keep an eye, i know how u mean about finding a vet...some are awkward..but just look after, quiet, dry, and water...u know baby bunnies should have the food theyalways have had..u shouldnt change it?have u kept the same food...

i live in canada.. lol.. umm she was just fed pellets, water, hay and carrots. she was in a large cage with many other rabbits.

I would keep her off of veg, as that will upset her stomach, and continue her formula as if she was with her mom, she woud still be nursing.
I dont know much else to say. She just needs CONSTANT attention, because she may not survive :? She is wayyy too young. I'm sorry to be so negative, but you have to know the situation.

So you say you got her from work? Whoever gave her to you NEEDS to be checked up on. 4 weeks old is way too young for rabbits to leave their mum, and they need to be reported to the authorities. You care about these rabbits dont you? Just try to do your best to save the rest of the tiny babies.
I can already point out 1000 things that they people that you got her from are doing wrong :?

Good luck!

xxx

Way to young to be away from mum....
hope you find a good vets - it would be a good idea, Bound to be good vets there -- seeing as you live in the bestest country in the world!!!! * sorry I am Canada mad*

Make sure you keep her warm, no veg, just hay, access to pellets and formula. Some bunnies can die from the change of milk to hard food and it may be her stomach can not handle it, she should definately not be away from her mum, you should report the pet shop to an animal welfare group as that is awful.

NO i would never do that to them. I dont kno how old she is.. im just assuming she is around 4-5 weeks of age. Im not a rabbit expert so im just trying my best. Everything happens for a reason, and everyone makes mistakes. Im not going to betray them like that. They dont give away their animals, they only made an exception for me because of a few reasons. They take excellent care of their animals, their animals honestly coudnt have it any better!! so please stop saying that they dont take care of their animals because they do.

I have her on puppy formula right now because with the other formula i was using (was also for puppies) was a powdered type and my friend ripped off the feeding guide.. so i didnt want to keep her on that because im not to sure if i was mixing it right and stuff. The puppy formula is basically the same thing. I was going to feed her goats milk but no place had any in stock. There has been no changes , she is still pooping the same. I feed her a bit of the formula but she hates being bottle fed, so i had to gently force her to take a tiny bit. Right now she is resting in her cage, inside my room.. i put a towel over her cage so it would be a bit darker for her, she can still see from the front tho and its nice and quiet in my room. Im trying to make it so she is comfertable, ive been keeping a close eye on her and i will continue to. Hopefully i can get her to the vet soon.

Back