• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Joining two dog crates?

I would guess (never tried it) that you wire up one end of both crates (the bit that normally folds down) to the roof of the crate using big cable ties or preferably wire as they are heavy - Then put them open end to open end and cable tie them together? My bunnies love chewing through cable ties though :roll:

elve said:
I would guess (never tried it) that you wire up one end of both crates (the bit that normally folds down) to the roof of the crate using big cable ties or preferably wire as they are heavy - Then put them open end to open end and cable tie them together? My bunnies love chewing through cable ties though :roll:

I don't know about others but both my crates (both different makes), the sides are attached at the bottom, not the top

oh-err :? maybe you're right now I think about it - I've 2 unused dog crates next to me, but I just can't bear the thought of wrestling them open again to find out :lol:

I have 2 large dog crates, both different makes but they both have a side door and a front door. If I was going to join them I would tie back a door on each crate then have the crates together open doo to open door and just secured by ties. This would still give me a door on each crate for access.

Rabswood

On mine the doors don't open fully flush with the crate though, so I don't think you could put mine together with the doors open :? .

How do you want them joined? End to end or side by side? The ends are only attached by one bit of metal hooked around the little cross bar at the bottom, so I suppose theoretically you could take an end off all together? I imagine the little hooky bit of metal would be really hard to bend though, galvanised steel and all that.

It might be more convenient to attach them side by side, so you don't have 8 feet of long, thin cage. In that case, I have no idea :? :?: .

Thanks for the replies. :)

Ideally we want to attach them end-by-end. I think we might end up taking both end doors off and attaching them together that way.

Louise

elve said:
that sounds BRILLIANT - I want one! :D Think you've started a new trend now.

:lol: I posted this and somehow the forum gremlins inserted it BEFORE colliewoman's post :shock: :? eh??? :?:

colliewoman said:
i have just finished doing this myself!
get a stout pair of pliers and with a bit of effort you can twist the hook thingies that the ends hinge on and pop the ends out (mind your fingers!) then i fixed them together with cable ties. i am surprised at how rigid the new big crate is. my 3 little girls are now bombing up and down their 8 foot crate. when little robbie goes of to his new home, i am thinking of joining his 4 foot crate on as well, though i would imagine i will need to build a timber frame to support a 12 foot crate.
joining the 2 has just taken me and a friend just 10 minutes. hopefully i will be able to put a shelf in at either end in the next few days too.
now it is 12.45 pm and i am going to bed!

OK this should get those gremlins :twisted:

what a great idea colliewoman :D

i have just finished doing this myself!
get a stout pair of pliers and with a bit of effort you can twist the hook thingies that the ends hinge on and pop the ends out (mind your fingers!) then i fixed them together with cable ties. i am surprised at how rigid the new big crate is. my 3 little girls are now bombing up and down their 8 foot crate. when little robbie goes of to his new home, i am thinking of joining his 4 foot crate on as well, though i would imagine i will need to build a timber frame to support a 12 foot crate.
joining the 2 has just taken me and a friend just 10 minutes. hopefully i will be able to put a shelf in at either end in the next few days too.
now it is 12.45 pm and i am going to bed!

I've been thinking about colliewomans 30"x8 foot crate - it would be great for a colony of guinea pigs no? :D

ha ha ha ha elve can do time travel :shock: :shock: :shock:
i got the idea from the original post on this thread and gave it a go, they love it!
not only am i thinking of adding a 3rd crate i am also thinking of going upwards with a crate or 2 and some shelves on top :shock: .
i dont quite know how i will do that yet though, replace the floor of the top crates with wood? i think i may be getting obsessed :oops:

sounds scary :shock: Now I think though - if you carried on doing this, shored it up with wood and filled the crates with concrete when it was all done, you could build a house :shock: :lol:

hmmmm, well we already have the straw bale house round here somewhere, i wonder what the planning people would think of a dog crate house :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back