• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies Speyed today.

dogmaddebbie

Young Bun
Well after posting last week about my male & female bunnies getting in the same shed together, the females have been for their ops today.

Both were found to have small tumours growing (they are 5 yr old sisters) and hopefully they have been caught in time. What are recovery times like after this op? I know one was only operated on at about 1.30-2pm and so she is still a bit woozy and staggering around a bit, would you say this was normal?

What signs should I look out for (apart from not eating/drinking/pooing etc).

Hiya! Sounds like your male bun getting out was a bit of a blessing in disguise, it would have been a very serious operation if those tumours had got bigger!

It is normal for them to be quiet this evening - they must be kept indoors as the anaesthetic makes their blood pressure drop and they are not able to regulate their body temperature. Ideally bed them on vetbed or towels instead of shavings/straw etc as this can get into the wound. I would make sure they have water in a bowl as well as a bottle, and offer this to them. They are often thirsty and it is less effort to dip their head into a bowl! The main signs to look out for really are the not eating/drinking/pooping, gently encourage them this evening but they may not really want to eat until tomorrow. If they aren't eating by then, it is important that they go back to the vets for some more painkiller and something to get their gut moving.

Hope they feel better soon! x

Back