• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

1 Freeads Bunny- UPDATE: He's here + pics!!

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

Ben's Appeal: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21453

DSC00198.jpg

After the posts yesterday and the day before, plus Roo's great effort with 3 of them, I thought I'd let you all know as the story unfolds of the 1 freeads bunny that I'm temporarily taking on.

I just got a phone call from the lady in Winnersh regarding the rabbit she wanted to rehome. He's an intact buck, almost certainly unvaccinated, around 2 years old, chocolate-brown in colour with huge ears! Given that she rescued him from a neighbour who just let him run free around the neighbourhood (and wasn't bothered), and that she is currently VERY worried about the staffie and rotweiller next door who are eyeing him up, I figured I should try to get him out of there ASAP. We have only got temporary accommodation for him though, so I'm going to make arrangements to have him rehomed. I'm going to get his jabs done but I can't afford to have him neutered unless it's at the vets in P@H which I don't really trust... :(

When I pick him up tomorrow I'll take some photos, give a better description of his general health and temperament, and keep you all updated with his progress! :)

AMETHYST

Thanks everyone. Thanks Donna! I knew I could count on ARC! :) Hopefully we'll be able to get Big Ben (as we've now called him) straight from here into a new home. I've PMd Adele with a post for the "Rabbits In Need" section, so hopefully you'll see his details soon!

He's so lovely and friendly! Within five minutes of getting him home he'd done a happy bunny flop in his hutch! He runs up to you when you call him and just adores nose rubs! He seems in good health although he's never been fed hay and was just eating a mix from a supermarket plus a few veggies. :-( Not the lady's fault she was trying her best for him! He's now being given loads of hay (and he loves it!), and weaned onto Excel. He also enjoys his fresh veggies.

Here's two pics of him anyway. He's a reasonably large lad!

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

AMETHYST

Sorry, I'm just bumping this thread to make sure that the majority of people who use the forum get a good look at Big Ben! My update last night was rather late.

AMETHYST

omg he is stunning! the double of my first ever bunny, the reason im now a barmy bunny hugger! :lol:
heres hoping he finds a brill home straight away.

Forgot to ask last night - how big is big? I'm sure my brother would love me to have a big bunny, Nina's my biggest and she's his favourite, he has an obsession with big animals :roll: But obviously if he's pretty big I'll have to sort out where I'd put his enclosure and what size to make it.
Can't believe I'm planning this :lol: This forum's a bad influence! :roll:

Well done on taking this lad in he's beautiful :D If you can't afford to neuter him it may be better to give him to a recue who can...or if someone wants him ask then for the money to neuter and then get him done BEFORE you hand him over...good luck!

Karly said:
Forgot to ask last night - how big is big? I'm sure my brother would love me to have a big bunny, Nina's my biggest and she's his favourite, he has an obsession with big animals :roll: But obviously if he's pretty big I'll have to sort out where I'd put his enclosure and what size to make it.
Can't believe I'm planning this :lol: This forum's a bad influence! :roll:

Yup! But it's good for Big Ben! :-D

I'd say he's as long as the tip of your finger to your elbow (when he's not stretched out!). He's sort of "larger than average" big, rather than really huge. He's certainly not a giant breed, but he's about a quarter as big again as my dwarf lops Miles & Miffy.

That's the argument you could use for your Mum - your brother would have another big bunny to play with! Ben loves playing football! :)

honeybunny said:
if someone wants him ask then for the money to neuter and then get him done BEFORE you hand him over.

Yes, that's what I'm planning to do I reckon. I can afford the vaccines (just!) but can't afford the neutering on top of that unfortunately. :-(

AMETHYST

Well, if I do manage to convince my mum to let me have him, we both use the same vet anyway so I'm sure if you booked him in for neutering they'd be fine with charging it to me if I explained the situation.
Arg, he's sounds gorgeous, just off to the shed to measure up and get ideas!

raven_guest said:
Where did you get that cage thingy he's in? It looks a lot better than the one I have x

It's actually this:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8759384.htm

It's not the most secure thing in the world TBH, I wouldn't have used it if it wasn't up against my bed and two walls! Also, because you get 24 panels and 26 connectors, if you try to make a cage structure like that you run out of connectors pretty swiftly - my construction only uses 18 panels and I'm still two connectors short (I used cable ties to substitute two of them)!

Still, having said that, it does take his weight when he leans on it, so it must be fairly secure!

You can also just about see the wooden hutch adjoining it. It's a bit of a rubbish hutch and I wouldn't use it outdoors, but a friend was going to sell it on eBay and I couldn't bear the thought of it going to a single rabbit to live outside in the freezing cold! It's fine for shed or indoor use though.

AMETHYST

Karly said:
Well, if I do manage to convince my mum to let me have him, we both use the same vet anyway so I'm sure if you booked him in for neutering they'd be fine with charging it to me if I explained the situation.
Arg, he's sounds gorgeous, just off to the shed to measure up and get ideas!

That's a good idea, I'm sure they'd be fine as long as you gave them your permission. Thing is, Runnymede Hill is now no longer my local vet, and neutering costs £15 more with them than it does with my local vet (where I had China spayed, they're just as good for bunnies!). Whatever you decide, just let me know and I'll sort it.

Enjoy your measuring up! :lol:

AMETHYST

Ah, well I could always send you the money to cover it if you wanted it done at your vet. Just to be nosy, what vet do you use now?

Karly said:
Ah, well I could always send you the money to cover it if you wanted it done at your vet. Just to be nosy, what vet do you use now?

I use these guys:

http://www.the-vet.com/

They are very good with rabbits and were great when China was spayed around 6 weeks ago. Lots of aftercare and dissolvable stitches etc. Really good aftercare advice for us too.

I was just thinking not only would it cost less but also it's far closer to us (5 mins down the road compared to 20 mins for Runnymede Hill) and therefore it'd be easier for us to check up on him at lunchtime and less stress on him for the journeys.

What do you think? I'm happy to go with whatever you're happiest with.

AMETHYST

I'll try and get an answer from my mum as soon as possible then so we can go ahead with the plans or find another home if I get a no. Had plenty of practise though so fingers crossed.. :lol: She's generally not been too bothered as she doesn't have to have anything to do with them but since I'm still living at home it's only polite to ask first.

Back